Thread: New Rules of War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Swarming is essentially perceived phenomena by people observing a condition and arbitrarily assigning the word "swarm" to what they see. It has no basis in tactical doctrine, other than the successful application of normal and well understood tactical applications may look like a "swarm" to the victim.
    Nicely put. For example:

Hizbollah guerilla fighters "swarmed" Israeli Merkava MBTs (Main Battle Tanks)–including possibly Merkava Mk4 MBTs–and fired at the sides and rear of the tanks with multiple ATGMs simultaneously.... ATGMs placed in over-watch positions at the rear provided fire support for Hizbollah fighters in the frontline trenches and hidden bunkers, who would suddenly pop out and attack the Merkava tanks at close range with their swarm tactics, and then quickly disappear again...
    Are Anti-Tank Guided Missiles the New Primary Threat in Urban Warfare/MOUT?, Defense Review, 19 August 2006.

Which shorn of the trendy "swarm" word, actually means:

Hizbullah conducted AT ambushes. Having done so, they then took cover.

Personally, I think we could go further with the application of analogies drawn from the animal kingdom to make warfare sound more avant-garde. For a start, I would suggest replacing platoon with "hunting pack," CAS with "raptor strikes," and C4I with "hive brain."
    Last edited by Rex Brynen; 02-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.