Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
The Weakness of Taliban Marksmanship

Nothing new, besides the interesting focus on the eyesight, but still a very good overview. Some of the Taliban's problems are also an issue for "Western" soldiers, even if less pronounced.

The overall bad shooting might be, as I said before, one of the root which causes the Taliban to focus on crew served weapons, with many supporting a few better trained, disciplined or more talented fighters. It might also promote, among other things the overall use of IEDs.

Firn
Can someone define "suppression" please?

I have learnt something here, I thought the TB could shoot.

But... follow the link to the New York Times and you see a certain Captain quoted as saying: "[Bravo Company] has participated in over 200 patrols and been in countless engagements over the course of six months with actual boots on the ground... [Bravo Company] had no Marines struck by machine-gun or small-arms rounds, some really close calls but no hits."

No hits.

Question. Do the Marines include a 'crack and thump' demonstration in their basic training.

Question. Who gives the order to 'take cover' when contact is made?

I remember back almost 40 years to the section battle drills lesson and no 2 being: "Reaction to effective enemy fire" on the command 'Take Cover' - dash, down, crawl, observe sights, fire.

What is effective enemy fire? 'Enemy small arms fire which would cause heavy casualties should the section continue on its course'. 'Sections must be trained to continue the advance in spite of the noise of fire directed at someone else regardless of stray rounds amongst them.' 'It is very important that at the first sign of effective enemy fire your section does not instantaneously drop to the ground in fright as would be a natural reaction.'
(Brit Infantry Platoon in Battle c1960(I think))

Question: what is the role of the infantry?

Answer: to close with and kill the enemy (from 30-40 years ago - modern role definition likely to be be broad and vague).

How is it possible for a whole company to be 'pinned down' when they have taken no causalities?

I wonder what the good captain's kill rate was for the 'countless engagements' his company had with the TB?

Are the warning bells ringing yet?

...and I ask again (this time with tears in my eyes) what this company was doing in open ground?