I have not seen any evidence that a substantial portion of the boomer generation is planning for, much less willing or able to forgoe social security and medicare in retirement. If you've got something that provides some evidence and arguments for your position I'd be very interested in seeing it. I've seen nothing which would indicate the boomer generation, as a political entity, has any intention of not receiving the government benefits they believe they bought and paid for.

It's also not just entitlements. The regular budget's been operating for a couple of decades now with bonus income from social security surpluses. The "balanced" budgets under President Clinton, for example, were made possible by that social security money. The future there doesn't look good as those surpluses will soon become deficits.

And it's the future I'm really worried about. A recent CBO report highlights the solvency problem quite clearly and the CBO director, on his blog, summarizes the issue in typically understated language:

A large and persistent imbalance between federal spending and revenues is apparent in CBO’s projections for the next 10 years and will be exacerbated in coming decades by the aging of the population and the rising costs of health care. That imbalance stems from policy choices made over many years. As a result of those choices, U.S. fiscal policy is on an unsustainable path to an extent that cannot be solved by minor tinkering. The country faces a fundamental disconnect between the services that people expect the government to provide, particularly in the form of benefits for older Americans, and the tax revenues that people are willing to send to the government to finance those services. That fundamental disconnect will have to be addressed in some way if the nation is to avoid serious long-term damage to the economy and to the well-being of the population.
That is polite bureaucratic language to say Uncle Sam is heading toward national insolvency. Avoiding a solvency crisis will be exceedingly difficult, not least due to political concerns.

Indeed, the momentum pushing us toward insolvency is powerful, the product of 40 years of policy decisions. The miracle of compound interest makes the problem worse each year. CBO estimates indicate that in 2020 the interest alone on the debt will be somewhere between $700 billion and a trillion dollars annually which will make it the largest federal government "program" after Medicare and Social Security. And that number will continue to grow over the decade after since we'll still be running deficits of $600-700 billion (estimated) annually in 2020.

It's not clear exactly how or when this unsustainable fiscal situation will end. What is clear is that even under rosy scenarios very difficult choices will soon be unavoidable.

One of my "hobbies" lately is examining the effects of fiscal unsustainability on national security and I've come to the conclusion that big changes are inevitable. The debates we have today about force structure and policy assume we will be able to maintain our current level of resources into the future. In my judgment, that is not a safe assumption.