Thread: Combat Participation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    I know Grossman's work. Personally I think it's just plain wrong. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand why Grossman is still being seriously discussed. ...
    Besides 18 Platoon, does anyone have additional recommendations as alternatives to Grossman's work on "killology"?

Also, regarding:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose Bailey View Post
    William,

In my experiences in first person interaction with American men of the last three Generations (roughly: WWII, Viet-Nam, GWOT, for sake of example), I find that their personal Christian, or other, faith has in the aggregate fallen off ...

Predictions; cowardice, self-preservation to the detriment of Nation-State, malinvestment, creditory depletion, corporate greed, poor stewardship, poor planning, wasteage, faithlessness, non-church attendance, marital infidelity & suicide
    will continue to increase.

Does that make sense to anyone in regards to combat participation, or the lack thereof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Huh!?!

The Waffen SS was also not famous for church going....

I am really, really missing something here....

"...faith has fallen off..." Rather than a direct decrease in combat participation, it sounds like Bullmoose might have been referring more specifically to a decrease in moral bases (derived from religion, or "church-going," or, in the Nazis' case, from an ideology) for combat participation. Perhaps alluding to a similar conjecture?:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
    This reflective poet does IMO need to be able to generate ‘controlled aggression’ but I don’t think that that requires an aggressive/ gung-ho nature per say.
    A counter to this could be that the reflective poet may be less inclined to do what ‘needs’ to be done if he is not morally behind it. That would make it harder for him to generate the required aggression as opposed to utilising a level of aggression that is already there.
    Emphases added and truncations imposed on quotes.

My own speculation abundant throughout. Please correct any misinterpretations!
    Last edited by Olive Oyl; 04-12-2010 at 06:02 AM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oyl View Post
    Besides 18 Platoon, does anyone have additional recommendations as alternatives to Grossman's work on "killology"?
    "Not mentioned in Despatches", by Spencer Fitz-Gibbon
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition