Thread: The Wikileaks collection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOutE View Post
    Since when is it against the rules to have an AK-47 in Iraq? This is not a justified ground to attack an Iraqi as it is their legal right as Iraqis to own one AK-47 per household. Granted, if the AK-47s where directed at an incoming host nation or other MNC-I combat troops the Apaches would be justified in their attacks.

As far as the camera, the telephoto lens of the cameraman is amazingly huge and at first caught my eye. Then I saw an image of the photographer with a massive telephoto lens. Regardless, the object in the video is smaller than an RPG.

With all of this identified, US Army CID will have one massive job. Also, certain SOPs will possibly be created such as what proper chatter to be used for conversations over the radio. Professionalism can go a long way, even when possible wrongs occur. Second, this may already have been established put proper Rules of Engagement. To my knowledge every combat zone I have been in has issued ROEs prior to boots on the ground. This will most likely be part of the CID investigation.

With regards to the children and the location where they were to go. No one is aware of the nearest hospital, the time it will take for a Blackhawk to arrive versus the IPs medical teams. There are too many unknown variables that resulted in the decision made by the chain of command for the appropriate action for the children.

There is more to the situation than all the self-professed experts identify. I'm in no way an expert and will eagerly wait for the CID report findings. All I am able to do is put my 2 cents in based of my experience in Iraq during the surge.
    Iraqi households are not allowed RPGs. Also, the presence of weapons in certain neighborhoods during certain periods by not-uniformed personnel could be considered hostile intent. Determinations of hostile intent are subjective and given great deference. We are not police.

The children were taken to a MTF. Full stop. Wikileaks was simply incorrect.

To the trained eye the telephoto was a 70-200L (can't tell if it was the 2.8 or the 4.0). But I can certainly understand how it was seen as something else. In addition, they spotted the real RPG in the group.

There will be no CID investigation.
    Last edited by Massengale; 04-13-2010 at 05:30 AM.