Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Well they may be able to do it well enough versus their regional competitor. The real issue is force employment. Combined Arms requires good planning and good command - two things a great many armies cannot do well. Good training costs money, and requires skill - which also costs money.

....and we worry about these folks because? I know the Venezuelans have SS boats, - like the Iranians. I just really doubt they can use them well enough.
Most of these armies have no external competitor, only internal ones. For those, perhaps a show of strength is often enough.

Why do we worry about Venezuela? Damned if I know. All the rearmament they're engaged in means about the difference between our being able to crush them in three weeks vice about twelve days, and maybe a hundred casualties. (Those are pure, pull-em-out-yer-butt figures, btw) I have a lot of military fans, and I get a fair amount of (unclassified, be it noted) info from them. At least one has been aboard a Venezuelan sub. It's hard to put a realistic snort of derision in an email...but he managed.