Thread: Insurgency in Paraguay

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default More about EPP

There is little information about them, I haven't seen any EPP (Ejército del Pueblo Paraguayo) statement; if I see any I will translate it. Paraguayan media doesn't cover the topic as extensively as I would expect.

As far as I know, they are a marxist-leninist group, and want an agrarian reform. They are highly critical of President Lugo and say he belongs to the "oligarchy" (in Latinamerica, the term is often associated to the rich land owners, opposed to the peons and poorer workers).
    The group was founded in 2008, and made some kidnappings, but in the last months they increased their agressiveness. They obtain funds from ramsons and are suspected to be involved in narcotraffic activity.

--

More about the law I talked about in the previous post:
    Clarín, one of the most important Argentinian newspapers, says Paraguayans fear human right abuses by police, that's why Lugo decided to trust the army for this task.
    The newspaper also says that the EPP leadership is composed by 10 persons. They hide in the mounts (Paraguay has many).

---

Brazil involvement:
    Brazil is heavily involved in fighting EPP. On Monday, Brazilian President Ignacio da Silva will meet Lugo in Paraguay to discuss the topic. Surprisingly, Brazil's security services will organize security of the two while Da Silva is in Paraguay (!).
    Da Silva said that EPP is a problem caused by internal situation in Paraguay. However, also revealed that Brazilian Federal policed is taking part in the inquiry to find those responsible of the EPP failed assassination attempt on a Paraguayan senator (he didn't die, two of his aides did). 1,500 Brazilians living in Paraguay left the country because of the violence. Brazil increased frontier security in the border with Paraguay.
    Last edited by Fernando; 05-01-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Fernando