I remember reading how amphibious warfare had suffered due to Iraq and Afghanistan as the Marine Corps had to pay its toll for wanting 3 full up divisions with tanks - the toll being taking a share in sustaining deployments on counter-insurgency operations. As Iraq/Afghanistan reach their nadir, it shall be interesting to see how the USMC chooses to oriet itself.

There were a few articles written in the Australian Army Journal on Amphibious Warfare and such that were really good and layed the concept out well. The topic is one that has always interested me as it is probably one of the most effective ways of sustainable force projection.

However, Wilf raises a good point with "storming the beach". I had the oppurtunity to work with the USMC, including an amphibious exercise aboard an LHD. Amazing in the capabilities they provide. In the exercise, we tried for two days to execute and amphibious assault out of the well deck. Once we got the well deck and broken landing craft sorted out, the seas were simply too rough to deploy. Eventually, we just hopped on helicopters and assaulted the objective (6 CH-53s lifted an entire Rifle Company at once from the ship).

Enemy air defence can be dealt with, Mother Nature can't. Other than that, the Gators were impressive. Between LCACs, landing craft and helos, there was a good mix of insertion ability. The C2, logistical and medical support that the ship contained makes these abilities.

I'm curious as to what is worse, 6 months in Afghanistan or 6 months afloat - after 3 weeks I was going stir crazy in those things.