Thread: Can a theater commander ever say that his war is not "winnable"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Military command responsibility

I have a recollection that during WW2 military commanders, notably at Chief of Staff level, did object to some of Winston Churchill's ideas and decisions. The only one that comes to mind was General Wavell's objections to deploying resources to Greece - before the German invasion - instead of "finishing the job" in the North African desert campaign.

davidbfpo

I would think that the good commander would go back to his boss with a variety of COAs. His best take at how to do what he has been told to do, with a full candid and honest assessment of what he believes the outcome will be. Along with that, if he thinks that first COA is a loser, he must bring alternatives, with powerful rationale for why they are superior and will better accomplish the commander's true intent, or perhaps best serve the country's national interests.

He must do this with the moral courage going in to either then do as he is told or respectfully say he cannot and step down. At this level it must be about the nation, and not egos; though I realize history tells us that is oft not the case.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I would think that the good commander would go back to his boss with a variety of COAs. His best take at how to do what he has been told to do, with a full candid and honest assessment of what he believes the outcome will be. Along with that, if he thinks that first COA is a loser, he must bring alternatives, with powerful rationale for why they are superior and will better accomplish the commander's true intent, or perhaps best serve the country's national interests.

He must do this with the moral courage going in to either then do as he is told or respectfully say he cannot and step down. At this level it must be about the nation, and not egos; though I realize history tells us that is oft not the case.
    I think that is basically the perfect response.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    I have a recollection that during WW2 military commanders, notably at Chief of Staff level, did object to some of Winston Churchill's ideas and decisions. The only one that comes to mind was General Wavell's objections to deploying resources to Greece - before the German invasion - instead of "finishing the job" in the North African desert campaign.

davidbfpo
    Oh very much so--Churchill's constant push for actions against the "soft underbelly" of Europe --Anzio being a classic--simultaneous efforts to delay the main attack into France.

The same applied for the RAF's refusal to deploy more fighters to France in the face of the collapse in 1940.

On the other hand winning his support proved invaluable to the US daylight bombing campaign after he bought the idea of round the clock bombing.

Tom