Thread: The Second Ammendment Lobby and Police Safety

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    Stan,

It makes me wonder if anarchy IS actually what people want: to be free of the obligations of a government entirely. Of course, it is not as simple as that. It never is. But I do think there is a little bit of anarchist in all Americans ... and that is not a bad thing.
    Stan,
    I think the confusion lies with the definitions of social upheaval and anarchy.

Having witnessed both but not participated in either, it sums up kind of like this in layman's terms...

Social Upheaval: When the population has finally figured out they are getting screwed by a bunch of politicians and payday no longer is enough to wash down all that Bravo Sierra, the population goes haywire.

Anarchy: The population doesn't care and the population goes haywire.

I agree, most of us do care and do try.

Most of us are also a bit skeptical when all our elected officials do all day long is ponder over something they cannot change, send us to the most inhospitable places on earth to achieve their goal of world supremacy in the name of freedom while they sit at home cranking out text on their game boy.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Stan,

I agree, most of us do care and do try.

Most of us are also a bit skeptical when all our elected officials do all day long is ponder over something they cannot change, send us to the most inhospitable places on earth to achieve their goal of world supremacy in the name of freedom while they sit at home cranking out text on their game boy.
    As you noted in your earlier quote, there has been a shift toward the repressive and all of us, myself included, jumped on that bandwagon in the name of national security and defense of the homeland. Perhaps, we went too far ... and the angst in the general population finding its outlet in claims of the need for Military Style Semi-Automatic weapons to defend themselves against their own police are a product of that. Perhaps it is time to step away from the need to maintain such tight security … before we lose everything to those in our own government who might use that tight security for thier own ends ... more than they already have.

Historically, it is usually harder to take power back from the government once we give it up. But I would hope that if this is the genesis of the paranoia that a court case or two will fix things. I have little faith in the Congress to act.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---