Quote Originally Posted by Logan Hartke View Post
Lotsa questions. A few answers.
Good effort.
I have personnel in the command teams earmarked for that, but that's about as far as I've gone in that regard. To tell the truth, that's the area where I lack the most knowledge, so I have yet to build that portion up.
Well here is a good place to start. We have every level of command from L/Cpl to full Colonel present on this board
introduced some of the new, lighter systems like the Mk.48 Mod 0.
You may want to look at the new FN 7.62mm Minimi. Far better option than the Mk.48 Mod 0.
That all goes in a manual I have yet to write.
Well I've been writing one for 5 years, so I await with interest!
It may be a bit on the steep side, but just a bit, honestly. Many platoons organizations run over 40 men.
Very true. The new Australian Platoon is 40, but there is a limit to effective manning and scales, and big flow down effects when it comes to buying extra APCs to carry around the extra bodies. 30 men needs 4 Namer. 40 need 5 Namer. That is an extra platoon across a 4 platoon Company.
Well, I know I've seen a lot both for and against. It kind of reminds me of the 5.56mm round. It has its limitations, to be sure, but it does work. It's not hard to find opponents to it, however.
I respectfully submit it does not work, or at least not work well. I submit that F&M at the section level is a myth.
Again, I don't have any more ammunition types than most militaries, I just have them in a completely different ratio than anyone else out there.
I think you may well have more ammo types, and what is more there is a clear need to reduce the differing number of ammunition types.
I wasn't aware that FOOs are normally organized at the platoon or company level.
You are correct, so you may want to leave spare seat for them in some vehicles, because they certainly travel and operate at the platoon and company level.
From what I could see, that wasn't too far off what many other militaries have, especially since those medics aren't counting the crews with the ambulances or first-aid facilities assigned to a battalion.
Makes sense. You usually have an medical evacuation vehicle at the Company level and they carry the medics
Why no 8.6mm? Well, not here. The "sniper" teams at the platoon level are not Special Forces sniper teams designed to be operating behind enemy lines or at distances beyond a kilometer. For those sort of missions, a shooter will definitely need something more along the lines of the .338 or even .408--but that's not what I'm looking for. The teams I have here are for the immediate support of the line units.
Enemy lines? 8.6mm is now a standard infantry sniper round. The UK has used it at the platoon level and it is about to be the standard sniper round of the all the UK snipers.
... but if a week or month of combat results in 50 rounds of well-aimed .50cal fire saving 10 SPIKE missiles, then it's easily earned its place. I don't see that as a totally implausible scenario.
OK, but SPIKE rounds could be saved by the use of other weapons like AT-4, M72, or even 8.6mm.
A three-man Mk 48 team should be able to manage 700-800 rounds as an M240 team of the same size with no increase in weight.
Concur. The difference in weapon weight is 4.3kg, and 355 rounds of 7.62mm link 4 BIT weighs 4.3kg, so that is correct.
I planned on having the team operate with just four rounds normally. I honestly just don't see most teams being able to last much beyond that (that's four separate engagements!) before either being hit or resupplied. Also, since the MR and LR systems are completely interchangeable, any MR-equipped team can restock with a few LR rounds from the nearest RCWS-equipped carrier.
As I understand it, you want your Spike Team to carry a SPIKE CLU, Tripod, spare batteries, 4 rounds and a 60mm mortar plus ammo?
A Complete Spike system with 2 rounds requires 2 men. That leaves one man to pack a 60mm mortar and some rounds, and why is he even carrying a 60mm mortar anyway?

Hope this helps