I was given a copy of this book after recently giving a presentation focused on capacity building as it related to counterterrorism. I only wish I knew of it sooner, I gladly would have purchased the paperback version. To avoid duplication, I just cut and pasted my review of the book in Amazon. I will add here that this book is relevant to the ongoing challenges in Mexico, and a host of other security issues that is not directly related to terrorism. The lessons/discussions on risk assessments, building effective institutions, interagency decision making, and consequence management have wide application.

Fighting Back: What Governments Can Do About Terrorism Paperback
by Paul Shemella (Editor)

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Back-...+Back+Shemella

My review:
This book is actually a compilation of white papers and articles on what governments can do to more effectively counter the persistent threat of terrorism. It is divided into three parts, the first part being "The Complex Problem of Terrorism," followed by the second part, "Comprehensive Government Responses." If I was rating the book strictly on the first two sections I would have gave it five stars without hesitation; however, the third section titled "Selected Case Studies" though well written and insightful included case studies that were not clearly tied back to the lessons identified in the second part of the book. The case study on Somalia stands out as example. On the other hand, the case study on Tokyo Subway Attack was superb. If it was possible I would rated the book 4.5 stars.

Who should read this? Anyone in government, the UN, NGOs, military, law enforcement, education, etc. that is directly or indirectly responsible for preventing and responding to terrorism. It is especially valuable for counterterrorism advisors who mentor their own or foreign governments on how to improve their capacity to prevent and respond to terrorism. I only wish I was made aware of this book sooner.