Thread: The New Iran Man at the State Department's Iran Desk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    In what ways does repeatedly condemning the Iranian regime's human rights record, supporting Iranian human rights activists, and calling for democratic elections, make it a lobby for the regime?

It is a cover for them. They don't believe in what they say. They call for human rights abuses in Iran on one side and on the other they call for the US government not to fund human rights groups who monitor such abuses. The NIAC and Iranian regime's agenda are hardly different.

This website (non-Partisan, independent) monitors the Iranian regime's lobbyists such as NIAC in the US:

http://english.iranianlobby.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JJackson View Post
    Before we get to your question we need to answer the question - So what?

AIPAC is a lobby for the Israeli regime. And the previous appointment shows how close the rabbis were to the policy-makers in Washington DC. I was very frightened by that appointment.
    In fact I was very frightened by the whole regime (US that is).

I can't believe I am reading this here. Are you equating the Jews and the government of Israel with the Iranian regime?
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 11-11-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix80 View Post
    It is a cover for them. They don't believe in what they say. They call for human rights abuses in Iran on one side and on the other they call for the US government not to fund human rights groups who monitor such abuses. The NIAC and Iranian regime's agenda are hardly different.
    Frankly, I also think US funding of Iranian human rights organizations is a bad idea, since it facilitates the regime's efforts to paint activists as stooges of the Great Satan. There's no shortage of anti-regime Iranians who feel the same way, as you know.

Moreover, as I noted in my original post on the original article, efforts to paint NIAC as somehow anti-Israel because it has associated with an increasingly prominent liberal American Jewish organization (J Street) suggests that the American Thinker article that started this thread can hardly be considered a credible contribution on the issue.

I won't comment on this further, other to suggest that anyone who is interested have a look at the NIAC and J-Street websites and draw their own conclusions.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Frankly, I also think US funding of Iranian human rights organizations is a bad idea, since it facilitates the regime's efforts to paint activists as stooges of the Great Satan. There's no shortage of anti-regime Iranians who feel the same way, as you know.

Moreover, as I noted in my original post on the original article, efforts to paint NIAC as somehow anti-Israel because it has associated with an increasingly prominent liberal American Jewish organization (J Street) suggests that the American Thinker article that started this thread can hardly be considered a credible contribution on the issue.

I won't comment on this further, other to suggest that anyone who is interested have a look at the NIAC and J-Street websites and draw their own conclusions.
    The mullahs killed thousands of dissidents in 1980s when there was no funding of human rights groups from Great Satan. That claim is generated by mullahs' sympathizers in the west to dismiss the dissidents. Now you can say that again but it won't make much difference. As someone who lived in Iran for 25 yrs before moving to Canada in 2004 I firmly know that the Iranian people want more US support and want the US government not to negotiate with the mullahs or their reps in Washington.

Nuff Said!

Council Member

In regard to press releases that decry human rights abuses - so what? If I were an organization trying to exert influence over an adversary, then I would issue press releases that echo concerns already existing in the public sphere if it made me appear less threatening or extreme. A press release really doesn't do anything, other than create a perception.

I know little to nothing about NAIC's real or imagined powers or intents. My only point is that those press releases don't prove much.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    I know little to nothing about NAIC's real or imagined powers or intents. My only point is that those press releases don't prove much.
    (Revisiting the discussion despite my promise not to.)

Lobby groups typically issue press releases and lobby in order to achieve what it is they want to achieve. They typically do not lobby Congress to do the exact opposite of what it is they want.

Really, we're making this far more complicated than it is. NAIC represents one set of the diverse views in the Iranian-American community. Those views are quite different from those articulated by the regime, and quite different from those articulate by some regime opponents.

Occam's razor, folks.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Council Member

Lobby groups typically issue press releases and lobby in order to achieve what it is they want to achieve. They typically do not lobby Congress to do the exact opposite of what it is they want.
    I am sure that is typically true. I'll see your Occam's razor and raise you a sweeping generalization.

Council Member

Limbert was one of the embassy hostages in 1979. I don't know much about NAIC, but I find it difficult to believe Limbert is an Iranian stooge given his history.

As for lobby groups, we live in an American republic and I am against any lobby group that supports foreign interest whether or not they are allies or enemies.

As someone who lived in Iran for 25 yrs before moving to Canada in 2004 I firmly know that the Iranian people want more US support and want the US government not to negotiate with the mullahs or their reps in Washington.

Nuff Said!
    I'm sorry to inform you that your personal experience does not validate you as a good barometer of all Iranian people. Especially on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    I'm sorry to inform you that your personal experience does not validate you as a good barometer of all Iranian people. Especially on the internet.
    It does. In fact it puts me at a better position to judge it than it would ever put you or any one else for that matter.

(Revisiting the discussion despite my promise not to.)

Really, we're making this far more complicated than it is. NAIC represents one set of the diverse views in the Iranian-American community. Those views are quite different from those articulated by the regime, and quite different from those articulate by some regime opponents.

Occam's razor, folks.
    I hate to break it to you but they are on the side of the regime and they try to further the agenda of the Iranian regime in Washington DC.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 11-12-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Council Member

Despite attempts to steer the thread, it is clearly past its useful point.

Individual biases are trending towards personal attacks.

This thread is closed.