SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Conflicts -- Current & Future > Other, By Region > Middle East

Old 07-17-2013   #121
ganulv
Council Member

Bibi apparently refuses to watch the film (which may actually mean that he refuses to acknowledge having watched it). Par for the course.
Old 08-20-2013   #122
TheCurmudgeon
Council Member

Default Late commer

I finally had a chance to watch it tonight as my wife, who generally controls the TV, was out for the night.

First, I would say that every 2LT ought to watch it for no other reason than to see how sometimes the military and security forces have to find solutions without clear guidance from the politicians - and those choices can have long range ramifications.

Second, I was reminded at the end of the documentary of one of the culminating lines of the first "War Games". It created a feeling that the War on Terrorism is a lot like Global Thermal Nuclear War - "the only winning move is ... not to play".

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
---
TheCurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #123
Wyatt
Council Member

Im still trying to find it, is it online now?
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #124
TheCurmudgeon
Council Member

Got it through NetFlix

---
Old 08-20-2013   #125
TheCurmudgeon
Council Member

Its also available through Amazon.com

The Gatekeepers

---
Old 08-22-2013   #126
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Tragedy and tactics

A remarkable Australian interview with the film's director, with splices of the film (10 mins):
Quote:
....here's an ABC Radio National interview with the director Dror Moreh, spliced with some footage from the film. Quite remarkable that the film-makers captured all six living directors of Shin Bet calling for peace with the Palestinians....
Hat tip to Lowy Institute:http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...Palestine.aspx
Old 08-31-2013   #127
ganulv
Council Member

Default Mark Danner interviews Dror Moreh.

I happened upon a September, 2012, interview of director Dror Moreh by one of my favorite authors, Mark Danner. Good stuff. [LINK]
Old 09-03-2013   #128
uwew
Council Member

Moreh will publish a book with the text of the interviews and additional material
in Germany in January 2014.
uwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #129
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default An indispensable reference book on the subject

Oddly there is not a thread on Israeli counter-terrorism and this appears to be the most appropriate place for this.

Via an alert on Twitter a book review of Daniel Byman's 'A High Price. The Triumphs and Failures of Israeli Counterterrorism', which was published in 2011:http://warstudiespublications.wordpr...nterterrorism/

The author is Olivier Schmitt, a Frenchman @ Kings College London (War Studies), who gives a bio on:http://olivierschmitt.wordpress.com/about/

The first paragraph:
Quote:
This excellent work of synthesis proposes to return to the fight against terrorism led by Israel since its inception. To a large extent, Israel was the laboratory of terrorism in the twentieth century, many tactics (hijackings, suicide bombings, etc.). Having first been applied against its people before spreading internationally. Daniel Byman offers and to study in detail how the Israeli services have managed multiple threats they faced, in an attempt to draw broader lessons. The result is a balanced book, which hides nothing as Palestinian Israeli errors, and thus may irritate both the proponents of Greater Israel and extremist supporters of the Palestinian cause, but worth reading for its detailed analysis and complete the challenges posed by terrorism to a democratic society.
Link to Amazon UK, where it has several good reviews:http://www.amazon.com/High-Price-Tri...unterterrorism

Last edited by davidbfpo; 02-16-2014 at 06:44 PM.
davidbfpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #130
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Moderator adds

In a moment I will merge the small thread on 'The Gatekeepers' documentary, which featured several directors of Shin Beth (internal security). Another four small threads have been merged; left alone are those threads on war fighting and more general matters.

This thread will become Israeli CT & COIN (merged thread).
Old 1 Week Ago   #131
Firn
Council Member

Israel’s Unit 8200 refuseniks: ‘you can’t run from responsibility’

Quote:
Did you feel your were violating people’s rights?

N: Definitely. In Israeli intelligence regarding Palestinians, they don’t really have rights. Nobody asks that question. It’s not [like] Israeli citizens, where if you want to gather information about them you need to go to court.

A: The only limitation is the limitation of resources. There’s no procedural questions regarding who can and cannot be surveilled. Everybody is fair game.

N: An 18-year-old soldier who thinks: “We need to gather information on this or that person” – that 18-year-old kid [in Unit 8200] is the one that decides.

A: It is well known that the intelligence is used. People are arrested in the Palestinian territories. Sometimes without trial. And even when they are taken to trial it’s often with evidence that can’t be exposed [in court] because it is classified. And the intelligence is used to apply pressure to people, to make them cooperate with Israel. These are all things that are known.

Quote:
A: I should say there are a lot of people who, when they leave the military service they start seeing Palestinians as people not just as sources of information, and getting a bigger picture of what’s happening and a lot of people … there’s very different levels of commitment and enthusiasm in doing the reserve service and a lot of people taper off.

D: It was clear from the beginning we wanted to do everything legally. We went to a lawyer and said we don’t want to commit an offence or say anything not allowed to can you help us figure out what we would be allowed to say.

N: We’re not telling secrets about what we did or the way the unit works. We don’t want to do that. We don’t want to hurt national security, we just want to say what is wrong with the things we did and the unit does.

We want people to know that being in intelligence is not clean, and to control a population of millions you can’t just do counter-terrorism and hurt the people who want to hurt you.
It matches some of the issues raised in 'Gatekeepers' and casts another light on the difficult situation of citiziens willing to serve and protect their country but also playing their part in oppressing other:

Quote:
A: I think we have said that some of the things that the IDF does really does deserve the title defence forces, but there is a significant proportion of what it is doing that does not deserve this title. It’s in the interests of perpetuating a regime that is oppressive. That is not democratic. It is these things we are trying to bring to the attention of Israeli public first and foremost. To create a discussion and think critically about it.
... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Last edited by Firn; 1 Week Ago at 01:40 PM.
Firn is offline   Reply With Quote