let me suggest with personal AND family experience at returning from several wars that the current focus on such support assumes everyone needs pretty much the same thing and the need or desirability for such support is universal. I strongly doubt that. Predeployment or post deployment, tour location, length and efforts / job while deployed all have an effect and every individual and family situation is different.

My assessment of today's efforts is that it is significant overkill for most. I understand the (presumed?) difficulty in a large organization of tailoring such support as opposed to offering high volume, one size fits all solutions but I would also suggest that many people are being exposed to ideas they might never get on their own. The current processes offer excessive support that is excessive for most, adequate for a few and inadequate for a few more; the effort needs to be tailored and that, to me, means a psychological assessment for each person -- a very difficult but not impossible task -- or, better yet, such an assessment before service entry and rejection of those likely to need heavy support.

An idea which ought to fire up the PC crowd...