Thread: Nine children among 16 dead after US serviceman attacks villagers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I am neither Afghan nor American so I don't really have the right to comment on this thread. However, I'll pass a few words across.

This doesn't play well with the World's 1.3 billion Muslims - especially those who have similar social and economic standing as the Afghan people.

On the one hand, many Americans attempt to humanise an individual who is responsible for the deaths of 16 civilians (children included). While on the other, they believe that the US has the right to act as judge, jury and executioner in dispensing swift justice (via drones) to "terrorist suspects".

This individual will have the benefit of a long drawn out process in the US legal system. Many Afghans killed by US forces did not.

At times like this, the US has too really take a close look at itself and ask itself some pretty hard questions. The USG has killed infinitely more people this decade than say, the Chinese government. And no matter the justification for the killings, those numbers don't look good.

To what end is this endless cycle of killing, photo-ops and huge expenditure on aid? Has it improved US standing in the World? No. Has it improved your strategic position? No. What has it done to the reputation of the US Military (outside of America)? It has diminished it.

The US really needs to learn how to do more with less.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-18-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Correction for author from next post