SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Trigger Puller

Trigger Puller Boots on the ground, steel on target -- the pointy end of the spear.

Old 12-20-2012   #1
Presley Cannady
Council Member

Default Identification Friend or Foe in a somewhat worse neighborhood than Golden Hills...

...San Diego.

Just like it says on the tin.
Old 12-20-2012   #2
Presley Cannady
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
...San Diego.

Just like it says on the tin.
I'm looking for credible resources from law enforcement and military on the subject of distinguishing between the good guys and the bad guys down range. Google's not turning up much in the way of scholarship, so I thought I'd ask you guys.
Old 12-26-2012   #3
Wyatt
Council Member

you don't need to be a scholar to do that, 18 year olds do it everyday downrange. perhaps interviewing a group of people who have a couple of tics under their belt and looking for similarities would be better?
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #4
davidbfpo
Council Member

Surely there must be open source material on this issue, particularly after the introduction of "shoot, don't shoot" training, first in the open air (Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force) and then video screen enabled tests? IFF is too military and technical term for searching.

The comparatively short range of many LE shooting incidents, as referred to often, is a significant factor as the human eye can see the possible target(s) clearly compared to up 300m away.

A few thoughts from someone in an armchair.
Old 12-26-2012   #5
jmm99
Council Member

Default Presley:

Am I correct in concluding that you want to look at practical application in the field of the rules of engagement (ROE, ROEs) and the concept(s) of positive identification (PID) ?

Google Advanced: "rules of engagement" + "roe" = 200,000 + hits; "positive identification" + "pid" = 18,000 + hits.

My own opinion is summarized in a year-old post, The ROE.

Practical application in the field (which today includes remote drone control centers) will in the end boil down to the actual test(s) used by the individual shooter to decide "shoot; don't shoot" - i.e., what causes one's "shoot" switch to flip, and then to flip back to status quo ante.

If so, I think you (or anyone else) will find it very hard to get personal answers in a public forum - or in a private conversation, for that matter. One issue is security classification; another is self-incrimination.

Good luck, though, in your quest.

Regards

Mike

When I quit learning, I'll be dead.

Crabtree's Bludgeon (updated) - No set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated and implausible - credits: R.V. Jones & Hayden Peake.

Last edited by jmm99; 12-26-2012 at 07:35 PM.
jmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #6
Polarbear1605
Council Member

Default LTC Dave Grossman

I think your best bet is LTC Dave Grossman...
http://www.killology.com/
This guy has done a detail study of gun fights and effects before and after...and will talk to ya.
Old 12-27-2012   #7
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default The old ones can help

Presley,

There is a LE thread 'Good Police Work' that may help:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=4430

In particular the references to the pre-WW2 training in using small arms, by Mr W.E. Fairbairn, of Shanghai Municipal Police, although on checking sidearm use was not his focus:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_E._Fairbairn

Post-WW2 Rex Applegate is mentioned(although I've only read his book on riot control):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Applegate