Thread: The Russian economy (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@stan: I have no doubt that in Vladiromics great scheme the ratings of railway bonds count not that much. Still economic turmoil in Russia will get his attention.

Also, with all due respect to the Estonian port, it's economic impact pales with the numbers currently at stake.

@Outlaw09: We will have to see how deep and broad financial sanctions will become, but I'm sure that those are interesting days for wealth managers in Russia. Perhaps the Bank Rosija also wants to keep it's foreign reserves close at it doubt that it will be easy for it to get more.

This German interview with the vice CEO of the DHIK is in my opinion quite revealing about the mood of German investors in Russia. In the past it has almost always been 'business first', but now he talks rather resigned about the primacy of politics. I'm looks like that behind the scenes the German leaderhip has made it pretty clear to the business community that this time it is different. Investments have been delayed and some binned, partly because German banks see more risks. This means at best higher interests which will make some investments questionable and others less attractive. I'm pretty sure that most German investments are mostly financed by German not Russian banks.

An article with a handy graph about the companies with the highest percentage of their revenue coming from Russia.

The closer the ranks between the industrial powerhouses on sanctions are the more difficult it will to play, let us say Siemens against Bombardiers. Reducing the flow of knowhow and capital into the Russian economy will hurt a lot.
    Last edited by Firn; 03-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935