Thread: Generation Kill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Terms of Address

I think part of the issue has to do with what one views in others as worthy of offering respect.

As a young LT I addressed my NCOs by rank and last name, in deferrence to their age and experience--each of them was older and wiser than I. I spoke to most of my (E-4s only had SP4s, no corporals) and below by their first names. Similarly to MikeF, when I addressed them by rank and last name, they knew they were in trouble. As I rose in rank and experience, I was more likely to address my junior NCOs by first name, unless they were in the comnpany of their subordinates. I never came to a point whre I could address an E9 as anything other than Sergeant Major X. Perhaps the weirdest event was coming to a position as a senior Major where I supervised my former PSG, now a GS-11. Calling him by his first name was always tough for me and calling him PSG L was inappropriate. Funny thing was that I had no problem addressing by first name a former section sergeant (also an E7 during my Plt Ldr days) who was also now a GS-11. It was also tough to address my former college professors as anything other than Professor X even though I was also a professor at the time.

BTW, I haver addressed anyone of any rank simply by his/her rank, except to be insulting. That practice is the epitome of depersonalization as far as I am concerned. It is probably more demeaning than referring to people just by last name.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I called my SSG's and above by their first names.

Brotherhood lies in the bonds shared throughout the tense times.

From my subordinates, I was always referred to as sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    I think part of the issue has to do with what one views in others as worthy of offering respect.

As a young LT I addressed my NCOs by rank and last name, in deference to their age and experience--each of them was older and wiser than I. ... I never came to a point where I could address an E9 as anything other than Sergeant Major X.
    I fully concur with Mike and Wayne; I see no issues/instances of lack of professionalism. In my 23 years (other than my E-1 thru E-4 days), most of my SNCOs and nearly every officer addressed me by my first name. Typically, the senior officers were far easier and the E-9s... Well, what Wayne said
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I fully concur with Mike and Wayne; I see no issues/instances of lack of professionalism. In my 23 years (other than my E-1 thru E-4 days), most of my SNCOs and nearly every officer addressed me by my first name. Typically, the senior officers were far easier and the E-9s... Well, what Wayne said
    That's right. When Stan called me "Colonel" I knew I had screwed up