Thread: Turkey mainly, Iraq and the Kurds (2006-2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney Massengale View Post
    There is some interesting information out there about the MeK turning into a cult post-2003. This is probably going to play out more along the lines of Waco.

What's amazing is the amount of restraint the GoI is showing in dealing with the MeK. I might be a hopeless optimist, but this might mark the begining of a responsible GoI that's part of the world community.
    I have to agree with you. During my last tour, I spend several weeks at Ashraf interviewing members of the MeK. They are, in the better sense of the word, a cult. This will never end well. Once the GoI go into that compound to round up the members you will see them on the BBC burning themselves. They have done it before in France, and I am almost certain they will do it again here.

Unfortunately, only a small population of these members are really the puppet masters. The rest are the leftovers from the Iran/Iraq war or peasant farmers that were dubbed into joining. They have definitely drunk the koolaid and this will have catastrophic implications in the long run. Problem #1… giving a terrorist organization Protected Persons status in 2003. We all know who to thank for that one.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-31-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: pheasant to peasant, coolaide to koolaid