Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Police in Peace and Stability Operations

Default Law Enforcement Advisory Capability as a Major Shortcoming

I've just returned from the second part of a major irregular warfare wargame. Interestingly, the most pressing finding in this game (and others I've participated in) is that the most significant shortfall when the United States provides counterinsurgency support or undertakes SSTR is our inability to provide advice and support to the national police in a partner state. Everyone agrees that the key to stabilization and counterinsurgency are some kind of constabulary or gendarmeries that are more robust than local police, but something less than the military. But because we ourselves don't have such an organization (particularly a deployable one), we are ill-equipped to provide advice and support to partners who might want to develop one.

Several solutions are normally discussed for this problem. All have shortcomings:

1. Use existing military resources, particularly military police, to provide such advice and support. The problem is that American MPs are not trained, educated, and organized to be a national police.
    2. Task the State Department to develop such a capability. The problem with this is that they have nothing like the requisite expertise or institutional interest.
    3. Create a new organization within the Department of Defense to do this. I kind of like this one, but it would be expensive.
    4. "Outsource" it, either to contractors or other nations that do have such a national police capability (France, Italy, Canada, etc). The problem with this, of course, is that contracting it out does not have a very good track record, and other states may not have the capability or the will to undertake the job at a necessary level.
    5. Task the Department of Homeland Security to develop an expeditionary law enforcement capability. The problem here is that, say, pulling American border guards out of Arizona to go help stabilize another state and train its national police would be politically difficult, maybe impossible.

Ultimately, it's a big problem for which all solutions are flawed.

Default The AFP as a possible model

What chance that the FBI could evolve into having some roles like those of the Australian Federal Police? Our AFP has evolved a hell of a long way in a hurry to get where it is today - given the resources that the US can muster , surely you could do something similar? (unless there are some domestic political reasons that as an Aussie I am unaware of).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    What chance that the FBI could evolve into having some roles like those of the Australian Federal Police? Our AFP has evolved a hell of a long way in a hurry to get where it is today - given the resources that the US can muster , surely you could do something similar? (unless there are some domestic political reasons that as an Aussie I am unaware of).

We talked about that but the problem is that such a force would not be deployable. If deploying police advisers and trainers leaves something in the homeland unprotected, it's unlikely to happen.

There would also be opposition based on historical/cultural reasons. We are still burdened by the attitude that it is OUR government which poses the greatest threat to the citizens. The fact that the FBI did abuse citizens' rights for a long period of time wouldn't help the case.

Default Congo 1964; Rwanda 1994

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I've just returned from the second part of a major irregular warfare wargame. Interestingly, the most pressing finding in this game (and others I've participated in) is that the most significant shortfall when the United States provides counterinsurgency support or undertakes SSTR is our inability to provide advice and support to the national police in a partner state. Everyone agrees that the key to stabilization and counterinsurgency are some kind of constabulary or gendarmeries that are more robust than local police, but something less than the military. But because we ourselves don't have such an organization (particularly a deployable one), we are ill-equipped to provide advice and support to partners who might want to develop one.

Several solutions are normally discussed for this problem. All have shortcomings:

1. Use existing military resources, particularly military police, to provide such advice and support. The problem is that American MPs are not trained, educated, and organized to be a national police.
    2. Task the State Department to develop such a capability. The problem with this is that they have nothing like the requisite expertise or institutional interest.
    3. Create a new organization within the Department of Defense to do this. I kind of like this one, but it would be expensive.
    4. "Outsource" it, either to contractors or other nations that do have such a national police capability (France, Italy, Canada, etc). The problem with this, of course, is that contracting it out does not have a very good track record, and other states may not have the capability or the will to undertake the job at a necessary level.
    5. Task the Department of Homeland Security to develop an expeditionary law enforcement capability. The problem here is that, say, pulling American border guards out of Arizona to go help stabilize another state and train its national police would be politically difficult, maybe impossible.

Steve,

I know you know all of this but many on the SWC do not. Police assistance in the Congo in the 1964 crisis was a focal effort for USAID (as it was in Vietnam). Given the Congo's human rights record of the time, it was to say the least something of a challenge. But USAID went to the states and hired retired state troopers as police advisors. After Stanleyville was retaken by the Dragon Rouge effort, the government held "trials" in the stadium with US advisors wearing "smokey the bear" hats in attendance. Not a few of the folks on "trial" got shot. See picture below.

We had the same problem in Rwanda and again USAID took lead training police inspectors. I backstopped with I-MET military justice training. All of this was occurring in post-genocide where the bodies were still to be buried and the jails were filling to 5 times their capacity with no hope for trials.

And Mark, we had FBI as well in Rwanda. They came in as part of the support to the ICTR in Arusha. It was a real stretch for the guys I met; they simply were not culturally acclimated to the reality of Africa and especially Rwanda.

Bottom line: VERY real problem given our US military and governmental traditions, laws, and mores.

Best

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 06-22-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Steve, Tom sort of beat me to it before you can talk about which organization would be best you need to look at that culture thing real hard first. That is one problem with Iraq western police models are just not going to work at least at this time in their development. Correctly solving this problem first would help point you in the direction of what type organization you would need long term.

Also I think I read one of your papers called the Future of Insurgency or something like that, it is from the 90's I think. My point is there is a lot Brave New War in that paper if I remember correctly. And it was a free PDF download to.

Default Given our Federal structure and the way our

police are structured plus the deployability problem, the only viable solution is to develop a 'Constabulary Assistance' Battalion /Group or whatever using the MP Corps. The fact that they are not now trained to do that is irrelevant; what is needed is the relevant factor. We're looking at the future, not at today.

It is an ongoing problem and as one poster here has said -- and as was said at your game -- the Air Force trains their folks to be primarily law enforcement types as opposed to tactical elements. There is no reason in the world that a select number of Army and Marine MPs cannot be similarly trained.

As a national police element, even the RCMP and the AFP are not as applicable as are the models of the Gendarmerie Nationale and the Koninklijke Marechaussee. I have little doubt either would be glad to offer spaces for such training and for the worker bees, there are Police Academies all over this country that can offer civilian LE training, some of it exceptionally good.

Oh, and if we go that route, the lower grade MPs selected need to be second hitch guys; that is NOT a job for 19 year olds with guns...

Default Shortcomings can be rectified...

. . .

Fatal flaws cannot...

1. MPs, see my previous comment.

2. State is the last place to do this for many reasons including those you cite. As an aside, the USAID and contract elements have worked several places and USAID should be resurrected and removed from the pernicious influence of State. Problem with the AID contractor model is that while it is proven to work in benign or not ovely hostile environments (see dozens of examples in the 50-today period), it does not do nearly as well in the event of hostilities (see Afghanistan and Iraq). Part of the problem there being attracting quality contract personnel. Having that model available where appropriate is a good idea, a more robust capability is required for really hot spots.

3. A new organization in DoD would be flat bad. Another bureaucracy, another 'DoD Field Agency' competing for dollars, another DHS...

4. Your objections say it all. Relying upon weak reeds and all that, plus the recurring problem of national agendas...

5. Either someone is a master of satire or they're trying to scare us. The USBP themselves will tell you that they are the most problem plagued Fedral LE agency; DHS is an unmitigated disaster on all levels other than as a brilliant example of why creating new bureaucracies is not smart and should be avoided if at all possible. Giving them another mission and organization would be marginally worse tha a new DoD aggregation.

The only flaw in a mix of AID operated, contractor supported operations where appropriate and a dedicated and trained MP Constabulary training and advisory organization (which should NOT work for the PMG) for those places where hostilities are present or likely is the training of the MPs. That is so easily remedied as to be inconsequential, it could be done in a year or two.

As an aside, there were two Pams floating about in the early 1960s, green covers so MP School as opposed to DA I think, that discussed (a) training of MPs to support counterinsurgency and (b) structuring a model police force for a developing nation. IIRC, both made sense. They're bound to be in someones Library, perhaps even at Carlisle.

I have always dearly enjoyed the ability of the US Armed forces to reinvent wheels and further have gotten giggles from the fact that in recent years, many of those wheels tend to be triangular or square.

It is absolutely a big problem but there is, for once an easy solution (well, easy if you can get the bureaucracy and the competing interests aligned...).

Hi Steve,
    This was part of our frustration as we realized the task org and training of the ISF in Mosul (IPs and IA) were not ideally suited to the threat. I outlined some of that in the article in SWJ VOL 8. The more I think about it, the more I think we the uniformed services can and should do it, but we need the tools to think outside of our immediate conventional experiences and at some level leadership that is willing to accept the risk of standing up para-military like HN forces. Obviously there is political and organizational risk which we have a hard time qualifying since such organizations are outside our culture. What we have to do is reconcile our misgivings and insecurities about such organizations by admitting that just because we don't have them, does not mean they will not be needed by other states facing different security concerns, or perhaps that we will not need them in the future.

As for training, we would probably find this difficult to outsource to another credible ally since not too many states wish to incur the political penalties for sending troops to Iraq. PMCs are an option, but personally I think they should only be used in a limited role and duration - in other words - don't use them for a capability we see as a mission of long term consequence - they are not a valid stake holder. This sort of leaves us holding the bag. How about a security agreement with a state like Spain, Italy or Romania that does have a good model where we send a cadre to be trained?

To me this makes sense since the failing or failed states which AQ & like organizations are attempting to destabilize will be more likely to suffer from domestic generated terror (aided by external support) then from conventional threats. Being able to go out and advise effectively means we must be able to identify with the security problem as it is, not the one we'd prefer to handle. If you can't do that then you will not have credibility for long, will be unable to request the right resources, be unable to inform the CoC, be unable to help shape the environment and policy, and as such - will not be relevant.

Other OGAs might be able to do it on a very limited basis, but we may be talking large scale that exceeds Iraq - we need to consider that. Certainly OGAs can provide assistance, but they do not have scale.

I'd also add that many of the problems we see abroad are starting to come to the homeland - take a look at Zeta on the Mexican / US border. What did the former CSA say today about the convergence of the Trans National Crime, Narco-Terror, WMD and extremism? We have to ID and develop capabilties for threats that are constantly morphing and growing. Providing these types of advisory capabilities and then providing a mechanism by which the experience get back out into the force is perhaps the best way to stay relevant on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    It is an ongoing problem and as one poster here has said -- and as was said at your game -- the Air Force trains their folks to be primarily law enforcement types as opposed to tactical elements. There is no reason in the world that a select number of Army and Marine MPs cannot be similarly trained.
    Why not use the AF in this role? The Air Force maintains units of Security Forces that are trained as LE and have some infantry-type skills. This would seem to put us closer to the needed skill set. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but MPs don't have much infantry level training and infantry have no LE training (at least I didn't). If the Air Force Security Forces currently have training in both, it would seem that all we have to do is tailor the training to this new mission/focus (and convince pilots that this is a good idea, but that's another issue ).

Steve: I am currently working on a paper that discusses this very thing and proposes using Air Force Security Forces in this role. I would appreciate any insight into this issue you could provide from those wargaming experiences.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Default The Air Force Security Force could do the

job; whether it's the AF, the Army, Marines is IMO not important -- though the various Chiefs of Staff / CNO (I left out the Masters At Arms, different kettle of Squid. Er, Fish... ) and their personnel folks might not agree.

The current training regimen in the USAFSF is heavily law enforcement oriented and less combat skill oriented; the Army and Marine MP forces reverse the priorities. Any one of the three could do the job, all would need a modified syllabus, extra and special training for the advisory mission. A national policing mission in most other nations in the world is far different from the milieu in US LE circles in all respects other than base human nature characteristics.

The key point is that whoever does the mission in a potentially hostile environment should be military for a number of reasons, not least due to relations with the host nation who understand the military - police or paramilitary regimen and prefer it to the amorphous US model. A minor exception can be made for British Commonwealth nations who are more attuned to the Anglo model but also tend toward the paramilitary school of thought.

While I don't care which service does it, in your paper, you may wish to consider these:

LINK

LINK

LINK

Hey LV,
    How large is the AF Security Forces? We had some that were working with Iraqis to develop their base security capabilities, they were sharp guys, but there did not seem to be many of them. I'd say that is true for almost any MP/SP & Sec For capabilities inside the uniformed services. Army MPs fall up under Combat Support, there are not as many of them as people might imagine. The MPs up in Mosul could not do much more then get to a specific IP station once a week, even then they were limited to the tactical side of the house -pretty much patrolling vs. the other side of advisory work which works on building capacity through resourcing and leader/staff development. You need both to be sure. The senior guy was usually the PSG/PL with the rest of the platoon pretty junior - there was no staff types to work with the IPs so consequently their issuse did not get much visibility.
    I'm not sure even combining the various MP/SP/Sec For capabilities of the Joint Force would be enough to provide the advisory capability needed, plus perform their other missions. The scale of this task is really taking a toll on all the services. Visit the FT Riley home page or the MNCI Advisor site to get a feel for the scope of the advisory mission. While it seems like the fit is LE for LE organizations - the truth is that both IA and IP are in need of these skills. Any HN security force facing the type of security issues found in Iraq will probably need these skills.
    If one of the threats we are going to increasingly face is one that has elements of extremism/terrorism combined with trans-national criminal organizations combined with Narc-Terror - combined with tribal loyalties we better consider how we are going to reflect that in our capabilities. Its why I think LTC Nagl's idea is so relevant - it provides the basis where the Joint force could both be employed in an effective and efficient way in enabling/strengthening Iraqi and other HN security forces, moreover it provides the means by which we gain unique and valuable perspective in how best to fight the types of threats the enemy is constituting, testing and exporting to destabilize other states.

Council Member

Default another problem rides again

In Panama during Opns Just Cause/Promote Liberty we used most of the above organizations to field and train the new National Police (PNP). We had combined patrols with PNP and US Army MPs. The FBI, in the form of ICITAP ran several training programs with the help of its regular contractor, Miranda Associates (mostly retired FBI guys - although the best of them was a former USAID public safety program guy). They did pretty well in fielding the investigative police arm called the PTJ and a Police Academy, not so well in everything else.

The primary basic police training and advisory program was run out of the US Forces Liaison Group and later the Military Support Group - Panama. We had SF teams augmented by Reserve SOF (mostly SF) wh were cops in civilian life at each Panama City precinct and each rural police district HQ. The 7th Group SF guys who did not rotate got to be very good cops in short order

Bottom line: we need an interagency approach which is hard to achieve at best. SF and RC cop teams work but there are hardly enough of them. MPs, SPs, and AF SP need lots of additional training. FBI not the right guys - too invsetigatively oriented and ICITAP is a bigger mess today than it was as the new kid in 1990. Contractors have all the problems that contractors have anywhere.

Revive the USAID Public Safety program and build a military advisor RC cop cadre might be the best approach to the start of a long term solution. Integrate into PRTs? Out in the field....

BTW, if interested see my article with Rich Downie in Military Review in about 91 called "Taking Responsibility for our Actions" and my SSI mongraph of April 1992, The Fog of Peace (the first of 3 by that title with differen authors and subject that SSI published).

Ken White, agree 100% the MP branch of All the services have alot of capabilities one major one is their overseas deploy ability. MP units combined with CID units is going to give you a defacto national police force. LE in a box.

You also mentioned some older PAM publications about how to do this. For a short time during the early 60's there was an International Police Academy in the DC area just for this purpose. You are old enough to remember such an organization did you ever hear about any such institution? I came across it while studying some Police history type stuff so I am not sure how credible the information is.

Redneck Rivera, I been there. We are almost neighbors. I am just a little north of Montgomery. What kind of beer you drink?

Default Slapout9, this is slapout

anything bigger than .40.

Yep, makes no sense to reinvent that particular bear; the current one is capable of being trained and doing well.

The International Police Academy was run by USAID in the early '60s. IIRC, from about 62 until at least 65 (I got busy about then and lost track ). It was a plus-up and add on to the one that had for some time been run in Panama (I think, somewhere down South primarily for Latin American students) and was (I also think) in Suitland MD right outside DC.

As I recollect, it had a good rep and attracted students from many nations. We learned how to fight insurgencies in the early sixties with the entire strength of the Guvmint, all agencies cooperated, mostly willingly and effectively; then we got diverted by the social upheaval, political class disaffection due to the Army's mishandling of Viet Nam, dumb Bosses who were "Big War" fans and most dangerously and pervasive and still with us, 'sensitivity' and political correctness...

So now we get to learn all over again; it's the American way.

Wander through Montgomery enroute to visit kids and grandkids four or five times a year -- sometimes straight north and sometimes veering off on 85 to visit the east coast Cop and crew and the Army Guy and crew. I drink about four of five beers a year, Dos Equis or Michelob (NOT light or, UGHUltra) preferably. I have to restrict my beer intake to insure no conflict with my far, far, far more copious Bourbon intake...

Hi Ken, thanks for the response. I am still doing weekend chores but I am taking a break. May be we can get togather sometime. I have a unique hobby I like to interview retired cops,soldiers people like that for the reasons you point out about history. We (US) have very short memories. Plus the younger folks all want to do it on a computer with cameras and speaker phones and stuff. I am not that good at that, I just thought you should just go talk to them in person. I will send you a PM later. PS I had to slow down on beer myself but when I do I kind of like those Coronas with whole lime routine that goes with it, makes it last longer. Later

Default War Game Small world / two degrees of separation

I've just returned from the second part of a major irregular warfare wargame. . .
    My son was also a participant and said he was introduced to you briefly. Given that he is less rowdy than am I and was in the other group working on your piece of the problem, you may not recall. He obviously couldn't tell me much but did discuss the Police training aspect peripherally.

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. We've done this before and it worked; then in the post Viet Nam effort to bury our heads in the sand and say "we only do the nations big wars" we buried the result of years of relevant experience. Viet Nam does not have too much relevance today on a number of points but the pre-Viet Nam doctrinal development, training, experience and operational efforts elsewhere at the time aimed worldwide are still pertinent. Minor tweaks to todays conditions are simple (if encumbered with a few easily blown aside turf protection issues ).

Best regards,
    Ken

Rob: I don't have a total number for our security forces, but nearly every base has a squadron of about 2-300. Moody has an entire SF group. Slapout points out an MP/CID combo and has a good point. Our SF guys would probably need OSI (Office of Special Investigations; AF CID) to assist with intell as well.

I would also roll in a judiciary team composed of JAG prosecutors, defense counsel and judges to work with the local criminal justice system. My idea is to have a transitional LE/judiciary capacity to act as a stop gap until the OGAs could catch up and do their thing. This force would essentially lay the ground work and allow US forces to seize the initiative vis-a-vis security.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. We've done this before and it worked; then in the post Viet Nam effort to bury our heads in the sand and say "we only do the nations big wars" we buried the result of years of relevant experience. Viet Nam does not have too much relevance today on a number of points but the pre-Viet Nam doctrinal development, training, experience and operational efforts elsewhere at the time aimed worldwide are still pertinent. Minor tweaks to todays conditions are simple (if encumbered with a few easily blown aside turf protection issues ).
    Ken,

Correct but we went farther than burying it; we made it semi-illegal in many respects. USAID in particular did a major shift away from cooperation with DoD and especially the CIA. In the realm of police training, USAID stepped back and declared "no mas". I was not involved in the central America operations in the 1980s but friends who were said these chainges--especially the self-declared ban on police training--played a large role. In our efforts in Rwanda, we had benefit of an activist Ambassador and an activist chief of staff of USAID, Dick McCall. Dick came out and stayed with us for months at a time. His presence as the number three man did much to motivate the players back in DC in the Nat Sec Council to at least get out of the way if they were not going to get on board.

Best

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Ken,

Correct but we went farther than burying it; we made it semi-illegal in many respects. USAID in particular did a major shift away from cooperation with DoD and especially the CIA. In the realm of police training, USAID stepped back and declared "no mas". I was not involved in the central America operations in the 1980s but friends who were said these chainges--especially the self-declared ban on police training--played a large role. In our efforts in Rwanda, we had benefit of an activist Ambassador and an activist chief of staff of USAID, Dick McCall. Dick came out and stayed with us for months at a time. His presence as the number three man did much to motivate the players back in DC in the Nat Sec Council to at least get out of the way if they were not going to get on board.

Best

Tom
    Tom,

I think there has been something of a paradigm shift in AID. About three years ago I was contacted by one of their senior staff who said their leadership recognized that they need to get on the team for counterinsurgency and stability operations. They were going to contract me to do a major study for them on how to go about it. I had major surgery then began a sabbatical so wasn't able to follow through, but hopefully someone did.

Their problem is that they have a very different organizational model now than they did in the Vietnam era. Then they had someone like 15K of their own personnel in the field. Now they basically are contract managers since most of the actual work is outsourced.

Default Unfortunately, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Ken,

Best

Tom
    Therein lies the problem. The government of the US is a reflection of the society from which it comes -- just as are the Armed forces. There has been a massive societal change in this nation in the last 30 years and the personnel and personal solutions of 1970 are now totally inapplicable. Some of the processes and techniques are, with minor tweaks, still useful but anything involving people and what they are willing to do is an entirely different affair.

The probability of getting USAID or State involved in a conflict in any meaningful way short of total war is unlikely; their support will be tepid at best due to personal preference and a desire to avoid risk.

There will be exceptions like the two you mention (and good for them!) but that's what they'll be, exceptions.

As Steve points out below, as a result of Warren and Maddy, AID is a different animal now then it was then, the US Info Agency is gone and any significant resurrection is unlikely. The culture is the problem.

DoD is going to have to suck up a lot and the coterie of senior folks who still want nothing to do with IW are going to continue fighting that surreptitiously as they have been for years until they're finally retired. It's likely going to take five to ten years to get the Army to adapt to fighting a type of war they don't want to fight. The nay sayers are right, we need heavy capability; full spectrum capability -- but you can't drop off the bottom rung of the capability ladder because it's tedious, difficult, expensive and lacking in the ability to provide victories and a win.

In the interim, fortunately, the kids will make it work well enough to hold the line.