Thread: Afghanistan's Drug Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default See Entropy

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    And these huge problems would be?
    in post 148 above. Recall my comment on US domestic concerns. Add those two together.

About 1/3 of the US is saying as you do, eradicate! Another third are just terribly concerned that the poor Farmers, their families and income should take precedence over those Western Kids who are of concern to you -- they think their kids would never have a drug problem (I know -- but they don't realize the little monster already does or is dealing in too many cases... ). The remaining third are leaners in both directions but basically undecided.

Thus, in the US, there is no consensus on what should be done so our typically American solution is to do little. Always been our way -- until someone goes too far or a consensus is reached.

I suspect most of NATO has the same splits but with a Parliamentary system, the government has much more decision authority than they do in a constitutional republic with a purposely designed dysfunctional governmental and electoral system.

We putter around until its almost too late, thus Churchill's statement: "You can always trust the Americans will do the right thing -- after they have tried every conceivable alternative."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    in post 148 above. Recall my comment on US domestic concerns. Add those two together.

About 1/3 of the US is saying as you do, eradicate! Another third are just terribly concerned that the poor Farmers, their families and income should take precedence over those Western Kids who are of concern to you -- they think their kids would never have a drug problem (I know -- but they don't realize the little monster already does or is dealing in too many cases... ). The remaining third are leaners in both directions but basically undecided.

Thus, in the US, there is no consensus on what should be done so our typically American solution is to do little. Always been our way -- until someone goes too far or a consensus is reached.

I suspect most of NATO has the same splits but with a Parliamentary system, the government has much more decision authority than they do in a constitutional republic with a purposely designed dysfunctional governmental and electoral system.

We putter around until its almost too late, thus Churchill's statement: "You can always trust the Americans will do the right thing -- after they have tried every conceivable alternative."
    Ken as I responded to Entropy above does this way of thinking apply to whats happening in Mexico right now?

The problem after eradication starts would be in Afghanistan for the Afghans the middlemen and the international dealer network. But since when has the US developed a concern for the welfare of those in the drug production cycle?

So I am growing dope in a hothouse in my basement and it accounts for 100% of my earnings the police will just leave me be? Poor guy they would say, can't take away his livelihood.

The US being a great litigation society I can't wait to follow the first law suit where parents sue the US government (and maybe the military) for providing support for the production of the stuff that killed their son. Sure to be a good one.

Default The US is not nearly as easy to understand as our media

and films lead many in the world to believe...

Ken as I responded to Entropy above does this way of thinking apply to whats happening in Mexico right now?
    Yes.
    But since when has the US developed a concern for the welfare of those in the drug production cycle?
    Along the line of those 'thirds' I cited above, it's always been present. Search here and on Google for 'War on Drugs' or 'Legalizing drugs'...
    So I am growing dope in a hothouse in my basement and it accounts for 100% of my earnings the police will just leave me be? Poor guy they would say, can't take away his livelihood.
    Depends on the jurisdiction. This is a big country. Some areas are tolerant, others less so. The Cops do what the law says IF their Bosses push them to do it. In some places, the citizens (with varying views) are the 'Bosses,' in others not so much.
    The US being a great litigation society I can't wait to follow the first law suit where parents sue the US government (and maybe the military) for providing support for the production of the stuff that killed their son. Sure to be a good one.
    Probably will. There'll probably be several. So?

The neat thing about the very large, very diverse 300 million plus person nation that is the US is that there are some people who agree with you and believe your approach is best. There are others who probably would think you're an idiot. Still others fall in between those poles. Many, like me, who believe that you don't understand all you think you know know about your stated positions on many things -- particularly the US and how it operates (which is erratically... ) and that the answers to most things aren't nearly as simple as you make them -- or as some also wish they were.

Pity they aren't...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    The neat thing about the very large, very diverse 300 million plus person nation that is the US is that there are some people who agree with you and believe your approach is best. There are others who probably would think you're an idiot. Still others fall in between those poles. Many, like me, who believe that you don't understand all you think you know know about your stated positions on many things -- particularly the US and how it operates (which is erratically... ) and that the answers to most things aren't nearly as simple as you make them -- or as some also wish they were.

Pity they aren't...
    Of course I don't understand the US, never been there.

All I am relaying is a view of how the US is seen by a good few billion people who don't live in the US. Surely by now you realise that no matter what the truth is it is the perception that matters in the end.

May I differ from you on one thing?

The answers are indeed obvious. It is the solutions which are often very difficult to implement.

Default I understand that

Of course I don't understand the US, never been there.

All I am relaying is a view of how the US is seen by a good few billion people who don't live in the US. Surely by now you realise that no matter what the truth is it is the perception that matters in the end.
    All of it -- except that in many cases, their sometimes accurate and sometimes not perception and vision of 'truth' creates all sorts of problems for us. All our fault for not doing a better job of getting out a more accurate picture but we've always been terribly poor at that; unlikely to change in the near future. Not a 'woe is us' sort of thing, just reality and not a major problem IMO.

Older American are used to it, the younger ones nowadays often seem to get their shorts in a wad over it for no great reason. In the eyes of some, the bad thing is that we know of the mispercpetions, could correct them but just don't care to bother.
    May I differ from you on one thing...The answers are indeed obvious. It is the solutions which are often very difficult to implement.
    Sometimes. Some times the answers that seem obvious and would be good for some or even many will not work for others.

Occasionally, as in this case, the solution is or could be easily implemented but the answer is to the wrong question.