Thread: US Soldier captured in Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    ...he wasn't the only one to have ever walked off a FOB or attempted to do so. I don't know the full numbers but I count at least four between Iraq and Afghanstan...One soldier notably stole thousands of digital documents. When someone is away from the security of home, ostracized by their comrades in close quarters, and disillusioned by their role in what's going on, unpredictable things happen.
    Are you referring to Bradley Manning?

Quote Originally Posted by WGEwald View Post
    Are you referring to Bradley Manning?
    Yes. He was reportedly an odd-ball in his own unit. His unit had lax security oversight. And according to his account, he was disillusioned with the war. In these conditions, unpredictable things happen. Why does one person steal documents in the hopes of exposing his perception of the truth, another walk of a FOB, another kill himself or kill others? Whatever outlet these individuals choose, many of the structural problems and enablers remain the same because they are frequently left unaddressed.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Yes. [Manning] was reportedly an odd-ball in his own unit. His unit had lax security oversight. And according to his account, he was disillusioned with the war. In these conditions, unpredictable things happen. Why does one person steal documents in the hopes of exposing his perception of the truth, another walk of a FOB, another kill himself or kill others? Whatever outlet these individuals choose, many of the structural problems and enablers remain the same because they are frequently left unaddressed.
    My point would be that Manning did not leave his duty station, did he? My belief is he had too much time on his hands (ASAS ) and access which he did not need. His security manager must have been asleep. His immediate supervisor was disciplined, I believe. His case is quite distinct from Bergdahl, I think.