Thread: Airliner missing between Malaysia and Cambodia/Vietnam, terrorism possible

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Update just came across Fox News at 2025 PDT that the Aussies have found two "objects" that they think may be from the plane... FWIW. No info about location other than "off the coast of Australia." You'd think they'd be pretty sure if they're going to release that statement though...

EDIT: Apparently it comes from the Australian PM.
    Last edited by former_0302; 03-20-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    How is it known what inputs were placed in the navigation computer? The electrical fire theory can't be ruled out from what I know of the situation, but it seems to not be consistent with the flight pattern and lack of surface debris. Also, if there was a electrical fire that disabled the cockpit and crew, what prevented it from spreading over the next 7 hours?
    AFAIK ACARS will normally upload information about the waypoint currently active, and the next one.

Perhaps pulling the breakers was enough to put it out, but only after the situation had killed the crew. That's the only way I can see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Given the reported sighting over the Maldives, I wonder if their air traffic radar was working at that time of the morning. If anyone else comes forward to say "me too", after all there are tourists there. Seems a logical place to calculate potential flying time left and conduct a SAR search.
    The Maldives sighting was apparently false.

Is it possible that an electrical fire disabled a combination of systems that enabled the crew to fly (in the sense of remaining airborne) but not navigate or communicate? If the turn was due to computer programming and in search of a sanctuary airport, what happens to the aircraft when (1) the auto-pilot cannot physically direct the aircraft to the programmed location or (2) the auto-pilot misses the destination and/or runs out of waypoints?
    It depends entirely on how the FMS is programmed and whether the AP mode has been changed from following the FMS plan to a simple heading mode at some point. If it's just been an inserted waypoint in an active flight plan, then you'd expect the aircraft to carry on towards the subsequent waypoints following the inserted point. As to what happens when you run out of waypoints, I don't know. It's not something that I've fiddled much with.

The turn to the west is consistent with providing the crew with the best chance at a shot at landing at Langkawi or Penang, which would be safer than heading back to Kuala Lumpur, which has a few high ridgelines to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by former_0302 View Post
    Update just came across Fox News at 2025 PDT that the Aussies have found two "objects" that they think may be from the plane... FWIW. No info about location other than "off the coast of Australia." You'd think they'd be pretty sure if they're going to release that statement though...

EDIT: Apparently it comes from the Australian PM.
    There's been a few P-3 sorties out there today, and as far as I know there's an RNZAF P-3 out there now. Apparently the weather isn't particularly favourable for a search, but if nothing else they'll be dropping sonobuoys and listening for ELT signals.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I won't hold my breath, though.

The debris was apparently spotted by satellite and a Norwegian vessel is on scene now.

Quote Originally Posted by biggus
    The turn to the west is consistent with providing the crew with the best chance at a shot at landing at Langkawi or Penang, which would be safer than heading back to Kuala Lumpur, which has a few high ridgelines to clear.
    I understand that, hence my questions concerning navigation etc, since it is clear the aircraft either did not intend to land at either of those locations or that it was unable to do so due to technical failures or crew incapacitation. If the aircraft cannot physically be directed to the waypoints in the auto-pilot, does auto-pilot shut off or does it attempt to navigate the aircraft towards the waypoint and the aircraft ends up trying to fulfill that destination? I.e. if it had to turn 70 degrees but could only turn 30, would it turn 30 or would it shut off?
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

If the aircraft cannot physically be directed to the waypoints in the auto-pilot, does auto-pilot shut off or does it attempt to navigate the aircraft towards the waypoint and the aircraft ends up trying to fulfill that destination? I.e. if it had to turn 70 degrees but could only turn 30, would it turn 30 or would it shut off?
    (Preface: I've never tried to plug a set of WPs into any FMS that were going to require the sort of flightpath we're talking about here. With that said, here's what I believe having spent a little time on a few sims and way too much time looking at FMC/S documentation.)

The AP won't shut down at that point. If you're that close to the waypoint that you are going to require a very large direction change to reach it, then it would likely consider that waypoint as being overflown and activate the next one.

I've been doing a little bit of reading on the 777-200's FMS today. I've just learned that when out of waypoints, the AP will hold the last heading.

I've also heard a bit of speculation regarding the search area 1500nm off Perth. 40.7140° S, 85.6494° E roughly. When you change the 'S' to an 'N', you end up with a coordinate somewhere in Xinjiang province. Read into that what you will. Grasping at straws, or hijacking fumbled by a typo.

Interesting take from the Malaysian press -

Malaysia's missing-plane crisis has exposed the shortcomings of a ruling regime already wrestling with a rapidly shrinking support base, fierce racial divisions and international criticism of its tough handling of political opponents.

The same government has ruled since Malaysia's birth in 1957, and political observers said its much-criticised response to the jet drama is symptomatic of years of institutional atrophy under an ethnic Malay elite known for cronyism.

Analysts said rancour over the still-unexplained disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and its 239 people, two-thirds of whom were Chinese, could also complicate plans to draw closer to China – Malaysia's biggest trading partner and a growing source of tourist revenue.
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...vernments-woes

Did we set up a betting board yet for "Most Likely/Most Dangerous"?
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default SAR unusual partners

I appreciate SAR missions can and often involve unexpected partners, but the arrival at Perth, Western Australia of two Chinese IL-76 planes must be an example:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-happened.html

davidbfpo

P-8s and IL-76s, both jets. I would imagine, but don't know, that this kind of search would require flying at low altitude fairly slowly. The Australian and New Zealand P-3s can do that without a huge increase in fuel consumption but normally jets can't. It will be interesting to see how the jets do in comparison to the turboprops since we are going to jets for the maritime patrol role.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene