Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default reading

War of the Flea by Robert Taber
    The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot
    The Ayatollah Begs To Differ by Hooman Majd
    Hella Nation(audio) By Evan Wright

LTC (ret) Jim Channon's "First Earth Battalion" also can be found here. I feel like I'd fail urinalysis just for reading this. He was decades ahead of his time in places and a complete flake. If you can get past the New Age stuff, he bandies about some ideas that were way ahead of the time (1979).

Kind of like Heinlein; Heinlein envisioned cellphones, waterbeds, teleoperated manipulators, robotic housecleaning devices like the Roomba, and others, but the flying cars, common space travel, and his vision of computers were way off.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OfTheTroops View Post
    War of the Flea by Robert Taber
    The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot
    The Ayatollah Begs To Differ by Hooman Majd
    Hella Nation(audio) By Evan Wright
    I will probably finish War of the Flea tonight (thought it was pretty good) and just picked up Max Boot's "War Made New." Anybody read the latter?

Thumbs up Fiction and nonfiction recently

On the fiction side I recently inhaled Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, and Daniel Levine's The Last Ember (which was great right up until the end, where it got to be a bit too much).

On the nonfiction side of things, I'm concurrently reading The Sling and The Stone by Hammes and Kilcullen's The Accidental Guerrilla.

Next on the stack are Brave New War by John Robb, and a more in-depth re-read of Maurice's Strategikon.
    "At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml

Council Member

I have begun reading Conrad Black's biography of Richard Nixon (IMO one of America's great and under-rated presidents) as well as D. M. Glantz's The Seige of Leningrad: 900 Days of Terror. Although I have rated Glantz' work very highly in the past it has often had the character and feel of direct translations of Soviet works rather than reflecting his own critical appraisal of events. I am happy to say that Leningrad features more of his own opinion as well as the usually high standard of scholarship. I am thinking about purchasing Clash of Titans next.
    Last edited by Tukhachevskii; 10-17-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Seplling mitaskes