Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Rank structure in Western armies comes from the old class system in Europe. Centuries ago aristocrats were the officers, lower class guys with a head on their shoulders became sergeants (a word which once had the connation of "servant"), and the rest were enlisted.
Well the difference today and the only justifiable reason IMHO for direct entry half way up the rank structure is to ensure your generals are young enough and active enough to be able to direct the course of a war.

To take it from the level of private/rifleman/trooper etc would mean that your generals would all be around 60 years old and getting ready for retirement rather than the next war.

Hence my contention that during (direct entry) officer selection you are actually selecting for potential generals and not merely company level commanders.

Hence my contention that before degree courses you attempt to blood your young officers in combat so as to see it they have what it takes in this regard. In the last ten years or so there has been ample opportunity to test officers at all level in combat. A six month tour here ansd a six month tour there does not cut it IMHO.

Once this (combat) filter has been applied then the military can decide you they are going to invest in in terms of degree level and higher education. I call this putting the horse before the cart.