Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Tomas...

Default Thinking of Tomas...

Raise a glass, take a knee, say a prayer, whatever is your m.o. Our best to Tomas and family.

Received this from SWJ member and all around fine American nichols. If you are in the Fredericksburg area, here's something to do this Sat night. If you're further out in the e-world or already booked, take a look at the sites.

Our son Tomas was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on the 7th of September. He is responding very good to the chemotherapy. His remission date is 14 September, we still have a long three year journey. The family is going to participate in the Light the Night walk in Fredricksburg this Saturday in honor of Tomas. Anyone that wants to join is more then welcome. the schedule is as follows:
    5:30PM - Registration for all walkers opens. The festivities begin!
    6:00PM - Remembrance Ceremony
    6:30PM - Stage Program
    7:00PM - The Light The Night Walk begins!
    Return from your walk for a night of food, fun and a fundraising total!

Tomas' Light the Night webpage is located here: http://www.active.com/donate/ltnRichmo/2135_nichols63

His care bridge webpage is here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tomasnichols

Paul and Family,
    I hope this finds you and young Tomas in good spirits and kicking butt !

I've often wondered who the Patron Saint of Soldiers is. Turns out, we've got quite a few

Tomas, before the U.S. Army gets you, these fine folks will be looking after you and yours:

St. Hadrian, St. George, St. Sebastian, St. Joan of Arc, St. Martin of Tours and St. Ignatius of Loyola.

You're in good company, Pal. God Speed, Stan

Council Member

prayers sent and may God be with you all during this time.

Don't be afraid to ask if you need anything.

Take care,
    Ken

Default Godspeed

"And he said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray Thee, send me good speed this day..."
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

All;

Your prayers and thoughts are greatly appreciated. It's a helluva mission that we have been given, Tomas is up to the task.

The Light the Night coordinator has been surprised at the 3 day funding level that Tomas has achieved. They are going to do a special award for him...he's excited.

BTW, Stan, good try on the Army segue but remember, we live next to Quantico. Yesterday while he was getting his spinal tap he told me to tell the Army & Air Force doctors how to do it because I was a Marine. I'm going to have a tough time convincing him if he goes into the military that straight leg Marine Infantry is the best.

S/F

Paul
    Last edited by nichols; 10-06-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Paul and Tomas,

Best wishes and hopes.

Tom

They so music is good for the soul so here is
    Sarah McLaughlin-In The Arms Of The Angels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU1OaCglgw0

All;

Last nights walk was amazing, I feel sad that it took me 44 years to finally participate in one.

We ended up forming "Team Tomas" on Wednesday. At the beginning of the walk we had collected $1,682.00. The gave Tomas a Team Captain hat, a Team Banner, a Survivor T-Shirt, Stuffed Animal, and a
    white balloon.

This is the happiest that we have seen him in the past month. There were people on the street saying "Go Team Tomas"

It was great!!!!

S/F

Paul

Sounds great, Paul !

Regretfully, I could not contact an Army recruiter today (they're all off)

I was checking around for a link to Team Tomas, is there one coming from your Walk ?

Kinda difficult at times for folks to come together for a cause; seems it's only the military that understands and supports her own !

Stan,

They're updating the site. There were 15 Walkers on Tomas' team. One of the USMC Majors from TECOM showed up with his family to show support.

The level of funding support for a 3 day fund raiser is what surprised the Leukemia Lymphoma Soceity. FYI, it was a purple joint donations, members from each branch contributed above and beyond.

I think once the smoke is clear we managed to raise close to $2,000.00 USD.

Tomas is still taking about the party.

Stan, I love ya but I can't let this pass brother.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Sounds great, Paul !

Regretfully, I could not contact an Army recruiter today (they're all off)
    Of course they're off

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    Stan,

They're updating the site. There were 15 Walkers on Tomas' team. One of the USMC Majors from TECOM showed up with his family to show support.

The level of funding support for a 3 day fund raiser is what surprised the Leukemia Lymphoma Soceity. FYI, it was a purple joint donations, members from each branch contributed above and beyond.

I think once the smoke is clear we managed to raise close to $2,000.00 USD.

Tomas is still taking about the party.
    Paul,
    Trying to get a handle on this so forgive my ignorance for just a second, but are you referring to Tomas' the Light the Night Walk site ? Where the initial goal was one K ?

Was the Walk along the same lines or a different pot of contributions ?

There's a party ? Will they be serving beer

Stan, I love ya but I can't let this pass brother.....

Of course they're off
    ...don't let that go to your head, bro. There will come another time...believe me

Paul,
    Trying to get a handle on this so forgive my ignorance for just a second, but are you referring to Tomas' the Light the Night Walk site ? Where the initial goal was one K ?
    Stan,

That's the one. The site still hasn't been updated with the contributions during the walk. A retired GySgt donated 300 to make sure that everyone on the team got a T-Shirt for the walk. The Gunney doesn't think his wife will mind...

Remember, I'm left-handed and attended a Sniper school at Camp Casey.... When I found out about the event last Wednesday I stumbled through registration. Initially it was Paul's, then they corrected it to Tomas. In the process two sites were created but the Team Tomas site shows $0 because all of the donations are being placed under Tomas' site. As soon as they combine the on location & electronic donations, Tomas should have credit for collecting about 2k in 3 days.

Needless to say, the children's oncology section at Walter Reed want's Tomas to be on their team next year. They do their walk in DC with a lot of people. We had 500 and Tomas was one of the recognized. So we'll have to figureout which place to walk next June and commit then.

Default That's the best one I've heard yet...bar none

Hey Paul !
    Stan,

That's the one. The site still hasn't been updated with the contributions during the walk. A retired GySgt donated 300 to make sure that everyone on the team got a T-Shirt for the walk. The Gunney doesn't think his wife will mind...

Remember, I'm left-handed and attended a Sniper school at Camp Casey.... When I found out about the event last Wednesday I stumbled through registration. Initially it was Paul's, then they corrected it to Tomas. In the process two sites were created but the Team Tomas site shows $0 because all of the donations are being placed under Tomas' site. As soon as they combine the on location & electronic donations, Tomas should have credit for collecting about 2k in 3 days.

Needless to say, the children's oncology section at Walter Reed want's Tomas to be on their team next year. They do their walk in DC with a lot of people. We had 500 and Tomas was one of the recognized. So we'll have to figureout which place to walk next June and commit then.
    That's gotta be the best one I've heard yet. Damn South Paw's like me

Say, is the USMC making you use those plastic thingies that strategically dump M4/16 hot shell casings on your right forearm

Let me get ahold of the Delta Hotel that thought that sierra up.

Darn nice Gunny that is...won't wanna be in his shoes when mamma comes home

I look forward to footage of the Walk.

Keep us posted.
    Regards, Stan

Darn nice Gunny that is...won't wanna be in his shoes when mamma comes home
    That Gunny could be in deep kimchee if mamma gets mad. She grew up in an Eastern Block country where they were taught how to shoot and throw grenades in the 9th grade.

Here's the official email from the Leukemia Lymphoma Society:

Over**500***Fredericksburg Walkers "Light The Night"! Thank you for your participation in this year's Light The Night Walk in Fredericksburg. Hurkamp Park never looked better and was the perfect setting for a wonderful event.

Over 500 patients, survivors, and friends & family came out to support the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to cure blood cancers and provide much needed patient services. The wonderful flag ceremony, the beautiful rendition of the National Anthem, lighting candles for those we have lost, hearing an incredibly moving story from Matt Johnston, shaking hands with the Gecko, and eating chili on an 80 degree October evening...it was all awesome! Thanks to all of your hard work and dedication, the Fredericksburg Light The Night Walk is projected to bring in over $42,000 this year!

We had a participant there on Saturday night who is supposed to be enjoying all of the new things that adventures in kindergarten bring! Instead, he is making his way through treatment for ALL. He was diagnosed on September 7th, and his dad said this, "Saturday night was the happiest that Tomas has been since he was diagnosed. He's still talking about Team Tomas"!

On behalf of all our patients and their families, I would like to thank you. Your support means that we will see a cure for blood cancers. We will provide patients & their families with the support they need.

THANK YOU!

Please see below for a few post walk details and as always, let us know if you need anything.

Amy
    Last edited by nichols; 10-09-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Default Saved Rounds

All;

Thanks for the prayers, support, and postings on Tomas' Care Bridge site. We'll be initiating the 2 years consolidation treatment tomorrow at Walter Reed. I called for the results of his bone marrow aspiration and spinal tap from last week. There were no leukemic blasts present in either his marrow or central nervous system.

We hit 174% on the donations, a little short of 2k but much more then I expected.

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnRichmo/2135_nichols63

He still hasn't lost his hair yet.

S/F

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great Job !

Hey Paul,
    Glad to hear things are going well for Tomas and really nice to see folks stepping up to the plate with additional donations !

Did you put together those photos, or is that on the web somewhere ?
    I'd be interested in reading the text on the right.

Regards, Stan

Stan,

A reminder, I'm lefthanded

Our neighbor put that together. Here's what it says:

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The night Walk is the Nation's night to pay tribute and bring hope to thousands of patients battling blood cancers and to commemorate loved ones lost. Everyone carried balloons over the 2 mile walk through Old Town Fredericksburg. The red balloons were carried by friends and family, the white balloons by survivors and the gold balloons in memory. Our neighbor Tomas (age 6) was diagnosed with Pre-B Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) on September 7, 2007. The local walk raised just over $40,000 and Tomas's team raised $1200+!!

S/A, Tomas age is 5 not 6.

We're off to Walter Reed now to get our azimuth for the next stage of treatment.

S/F

Paul