Thread: Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've found it helpful if I think of the left as the infantile, led by the childish, on behalf of the adolescent. It's all a matter of determining which age group one of them falls into, then using the appropriate parenting skills.
    Yes, it's always quite comforting to not take seriously the ideas of those we disagree with. That way we never have to actually question or engage our own ideas or feel out of sorts at all.

Council Member

I've found it helpful if I think of the left as the infantile, led by the childish, on behalf of the adolescent. It's all a matter of determining which age group one of them falls into, then using the appropriate parenting skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Yes, it's always quite comforting to not take seriously the ideas of those we disagree with. That way we never have to actually question or engage our own ideas or feel out of sorts at all.
    Thanks for coming to our defence, tequila. As a member of the left, I was going to protest by throwing my Lego around, but decided against it when Sesame Street came on. After all, Ernie is singing "You've got to put down (some of) the kinetics if you want to play the COINaphone....
    Last edited by Rex Brynen; 11-15-2007 at 08:23 PM.

It's more a defense of being open-minded and unafraid to engage. I'm left-leaning on certain issues but quite right-wing on others which are not covered by this message board.

It's also why I continue to read COMMENTARY and NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE, as well as MOTHER JONES.

[sarcasm] I just plug my ears and start screaming any "-ist" words I can think of until they all go away...[/sarcasm]

That's not directed at you, Tequila. More of a general comment on what often passes for debate and discussion in some circles these days. "If you don't agree with me you're a racist/Communist/sexist/Islamist/exhibitionist (well...not really...but gotta think of Stan)."

Gotta say I don't really identify with EITHER major party.

And welcome back, 120mm!
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Frankly I tire of the left equals liberals equation as a tool for the Ann Coulter crowd. The same can be said when it comes to saying conservative is the same as right wing. Neither linkage offers clarity and that seems to be the point.

No one could ever be more conservative than my old man, a card carrying, dues paying member of the AFL-CIO for nearly 40 years.

Meanwhile matchbox cars are way more cool than Legos, Rex.

Tom

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    New thread! New thread!

Tom
    Sounds like a clash of cultures to me.

Frankly I tire of the left equals liberals equation as a tool for the Ann Coulter crowd. The same can be said when it comes to saying conservative is the same as right wing. Neither linkage offers clarity and that seems to be the point.
    It would seem I owe an explanation.

1. wm, I've nothing against lefties. Some of my best friends are lefties.

2. I'm liberal on a few issues, centrist on others, libertarian on quite a few.

3. Liberal and left are definitely not the same.

4. I'm open to any argument, from any quarter, provided it is presented in the form of evidence based reasoning. As the post started, the topic was the mythology that has built around Che Quevara. The cheap shot was aimed at those who buy into it.

5. My apologies to any one who took offense. I assure you, the cheap shot was not aimed at you.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

John,

No worries. I for one was not offended by your post. My reaction was to the larger tendency to categorize views with simplistic models.

If I seemed offended or even offensive, I apologize.

Best

Tom

Tom,

None taken. But I think match box cars and Legos are equally cool.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Default I'm a leg man myself and I think Stan is ri

Whoops, wrong thread...

John,

I'm in the same camp as Tom. I understood your point and ain't offended....

But let's be inclusive and remember Hot Wheels.....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Don't forget Lincoln

Just wondering where right leaning, lincoln(linking) log, lovers might stand

on the Che thing I'll bet the whole plaster face, hands cut off thing got mega props for CIA among the criminal sector.

John,

No worries. I for one was not offended by your post. My reaction was to the larger tendency to categorize views with simplistic models.

If I seemed offended or even offensive, I apologize.

Best

Tom
    Yeah, like he said

My post was meant to point out that, OMG ,we all get jejune and puerile at times.