Page 92 of 106 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2113

Thread: Syria in 2017 (January-April)

Council Member

Default Southern Front Clashes with Daesh in Daraa

Clashes with ISIS in Yarmuk basin, south-west Daraa (http://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2017/1...outhwest-daraa)

Rebels targeting ISIS with SPG-9 in south-west Daraa (http://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2017/1...outhwest-daraa)

Another video as Southern front clashing with ISIS in south-west Daraa (http://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2017/1...hing-with-isis)

Council Member

Default To CrowBat RE: Syria

Quote Originally Posted by CrowBat
    Back in 2013, we've had plenty of discussions to all such topics - just check the older threads (if they're still around?) - and the near unitary reaction on this very forum was, 'go there if you like, but Syria is not important and thus no issue of the US national interest'.
    I doubt that a single punitive strike 2013 would have deterred Russia from intervening nor Assad's prosecution of a total war.

There still would have had to have been a CW deal, probably with Russian brokering, and Russia would have intervened earlier.

I do believe that Assad would have been deterred from using CWs again, that he would have been more forthright about his stockpiles and production facilities, and that the rebels would have felt that the U.S. cared.

Now that Assad has minimal supplies of Sarin, punishing him is far less risky than in 2013, when he was on the ropes and could have lost control of his CWs. However, it was certainly riskier in terms of a great power confrontation, given the expanded Iranian and Russian presence.

Council Member

Default My Thoughts on U.S. Intervention in Syria

Firstly, I was and still am opposed to the U.S. launching a military campaign to defeat Assad and remove him from office. I do not believe that his removal would hasten the war's end or lessen the carnage. The U.S. would also then bear a certain responsibility for the failure of the Syrian state and the continued violence. Nor do I believe that occupying and reconstructing Syria over a period of decades is in the U.S. national interest.

However, I am not averse to a palace coup wherein Assad is replaced by a more reasonable Alawi leader who would be satisfied with an armistice that involves the creation of an Alawi enclave and the retreat of Alawi forces to this enclave. Such an arrangement would also pertain to the Christian and Druze minorities which are neutral or have been fighting alongside the Alawis. This would reduce the sectarianism of the conflict and allow the Syrian Sunni Arabs to concentrate on defeating Al Qaeda and Daesh, and consolidating a Sunni Arab enclave in the central and eastern parts of Syria. The Syrian Kurds already have Rojava, however, the ethnic cleansing would have to cease and borders demarcated.

Would Russia be opposed to such an outcome? Probably not, given its history of managing various unresolved conflicts and fluidly transitioning from low-level war to full-scale war to ceasefire. Russia would retain its basing rights in Alawi Latakia and guarantee that the Sunni Arabs did not begin sectarian cleansing against the minorities with whom they have been fighting.

So who is the gorilla in the room? Iran, which brings me to my second point...

Secondly, Iran's intervention in Syria is an invasion by any means. Although Iran was invited in by the Syrian government, I regard this invitation in the same light as the Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian Hungarian, Czech and Afghan invitations extended to the Soviet Union, or Italy's invitation to Germany in 1943. Why?

From the outset of the civil uprising against Assad in 2011, it was clear that most protesters were from the Sunni Arab majority, from the same community that had risen up against Assad's father, and which the Assads had marginalized in the military and civil service, in favor of their own sect. Assad's brutal response to the uprising involved not only turning Alawi intelligence officers and paramilitaries (Shabiha) on the protesters, but also the advice and direct participation of Iranian Revolutionary Guards.

I cannot see how a leader who is oppressing the majority of his citizens and who is dependent upon minority support and foreign forces, can be considered a legitimate head of state. His invitations to Iran and Russia are about as legitimate in my opinion as any invitations from any other faction in the war.

Therefore, Iran is an invader, no matter how many Petains or Quislings it can point to.

Thirdly, there may be a way through the chaos of the Civil War to intervene successfully, by driving out the foreign forces upon which Assad depends upon for offensive campaigns. The Syrian Alawis, Druze and Christians can probably be counted upon to defend their homes and families, but there is mounting evidence that they are weary of subduing the Sunni Arab majority, let alone the Kurds.

Currently, Assad relies on the following foreign forces led by Iran (20,000 to 30,000):

• Revolutionary Guards - from Iran (8,000 to 10,000)
    • Regular Forces - from Iran (~1,000)
    • Hezbollah - from Lebanon (6,000 to 8,000)
    • Kata'ib Hezbollah - from Iraq (1,000 to 3,000)
    • Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq - from Iraq (1,000 to 3,000)
    • Liwa Fatemiyoun - from Afghanistan and Iran (2,000 to 3,000)
    • Liwa Zainabiyoun - from Pakistan (1,000)

Exact estimates of fighting strength are difficult to come by, given casualties and rotations. According to the NCRI/MEK, Iran has cobbled together a force of 60,000 to 73,000, but these numbers seem grossly inflated, and are not supported by the numbers of combatants observed in various pro-Assad campaigns.

Of these forces, only Hezbollah and Kata'ib Hezbollah are designated as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs), accounting for roughly 1/3 of the pro-Assad foreign strength.

I would roughly recommend:

• Designating the other paramilitaries as FTOs as well as the Quds Force
    • Signaling to all participants that non-Syrian FTOs must depart and that they will be subject to attack if observed in Sunni Arab or Kurdish areas (i.e. outside of Latakia and Damascus)
    • Signaling that the U.S. government has no intention of ousting Assad or allowing Latakia to be overrun
    • Making the Free Syrian Army agree to assume a defensive and static posture
    • Attack any non-Syrian pro-Assad FTO that engages in hostilities against Sunni Arabs
    • Attack any Islamist Sunni Arab offensive into non-Sunni areas (e.g. Al Qaeda's various derivatives)

This may drive a wedge between Assad and his people, as well as between Iran and its auxiliaries. It will also be an arrangement that Russia and most Syrians can live with, and will not involve the use of U.S. ground forces. Thoughts?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azor View Post
    Firstly, I was and still am opposed to the U.S. launching a military campaign to defeat Assad and remove him from office. I do not believe that his removal would hasten the war's end or lessen the carnage. The U.S. would also then bear a certain responsibility for the failure of the Syrian state and the continued violence. Nor do I believe that occupying and reconstructing Syria over a period of decades is in the U.S. national interest.

However, I am not averse to a palace coup wherein Assad is replaced by a more reasonable Alawi leader who would be satisfied with an armistice that involves the creation of an Alawi enclave and the retreat of Alawi forces to this enclave. Such an arrangement would also pertain to the Christian and Druze minorities which are neutral or have been fighting alongside the Alawis. This would reduce the sectarianism of the conflict and allow the Syrian Sunni Arabs to concentrate on defeating Al Qaeda and Daesh, and consolidating a Sunni Arab enclave in the central and eastern parts of Syria. The Syrian Kurds already have Rojava, however, the ethnic cleansing would have to cease and borders demarcated.

Would Russia be opposed to such an outcome? Probably not, given its history of managing various unresolved conflicts and fluidly transitioning from low-level war to full-scale war to ceasefire. Russia would retain its basing rights in Alawi Latakia and guarantee that the Sunni Arabs did not begin sectarian cleansing against the minorities with whom they have been fighting.

So who is the gorilla in the room? Iran, which brings me to my second point...

Secondly, Iran's intervention in Syria is an invasion by any means. Although Iran was invited in by the Syrian government, I regard this invitation in the same light as the Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian Hungarian, Czech and Afghan invitations extended to the Soviet Union, or Italy's invitation to Germany in 1943. Why?

From the outset of the civil uprising against Assad in 2011, it was clear that most protesters were from the Sunni Arab majority, from the same community that had risen up against Assad's father, and which the Assads had marginalized in the military and civil service, in favor of their own sect. Assad's brutal response to the uprising involved not only turning Alawi intelligence officers and paramilitaries (Shabiha) on the protesters, but also the advice and direct participation of Iranian Revolutionary Guards.

I cannot see how a leader who is oppressing the majority of his citizens and who is dependent upon minority support and foreign forces, can be considered a legitimate head of state. His invitations to Iran and Russia are about as legitimate in my opinion as any invitations from any other faction in the war.

Therefore, Iran is an invader, no matter how many Petains or Quislings it can point to.

Thirdly, there may be a way through the chaos of the Civil War to intervene successfully, by driving out the foreign forces upon which Assad depends upon for offensive campaigns. The Syrian Alawis, Druze and Christians can probably be counted upon to defend their homes and families, but there is mounting evidence that they are weary of subduing the Sunni Arab majority, let alone the Kurds.

Currently, Assad relies on the following foreign forces led by Iran (20,000 to 30,000):

• Revolutionary Guards - from Iran (8,000 to 10,000)
    • Regular Forces - from Iran (~1,000)
    • Hezbollah - from Lebanon (6,000 to 8,000)
    • Kata'ib Hezbollah - from Iraq (1,000 to 3,000)
    • Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq - from Iraq (1,000 to 3,000)
    • Liwa Fatemiyoun - from Afghanistan and Iran (2,000 to 3,000)
    • Liwa Zainabiyoun - from Pakistan (1,000)

Exact estimates of fighting strength are difficult to come by, given casualties and rotations. According to the NCRI/MEK, Iran has cobbled together a force of 60,000 to 73,000, but these numbers seem grossly inflated, and are not supported by the numbers of combatants observed in various pro-Assad campaigns.

Of these forces, only Hezbollah and Kata'ib Hezbollah are designated as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs), accounting for roughly 1/3 of the pro-Assad foreign strength.

I would roughly recommend:

• Designating the other paramilitaries as FTOs as well as the Quds Force
    • Signaling to all participants that non-Syrian FTOs must depart and that they will be subject to attack if observed in Sunni Arab or Kurdish areas (i.e. outside of Latakia and Damascus)
    • Signaling that the U.S. government has no intention of ousting Assad or allowing Latakia to be overrun
    • Making the Free Syrian Army agree to assume a defensive and static posture
    • Attack any non-Syrian pro-Assad FTO that engages in hostilities against Sunni Arabs
    • Attack any Islamist Sunni Arab offensive into non-Sunni areas (e.g. Al Qaeda's various derivatives)

This may drive a wedge between Assad and his people, as well as between Iran and its auxiliaries. It will also be an arrangement that Russia and most Syrians can live with, and will not involve the use of U.S. ground forces. Thoughts?
    Azor........the rebels for the last several years have stated...push out Assad and then we can focus and will focus on IS as they are not Syrians......

IF and I use the term IF..if in fact Obama had been willing to completely ground the Syrian AF and their helicopters there would have been no

1. sarin gas attacks
    2. no chlorine barrel bombs
    3. no barrel bombs
    4. limited very limited refugee flows towards Europe
    5. would have greatly limited starvation...ethnic cleansings
    6. potentially facilitated the removal of Assad

The key even today is in fact the removal of Assad as the majority of his society the Sunni's demand it..BUT it clashes with the Iranian green crescent objectives....

Simply stated no Iranian troops and no Russian troops and AF.....should remain in Syria otherwise I hate to say this we will see an actual partition of Syria into an assad zone...a Sunni/Turkish zone and a Kurdish zone setting up conflict in Syria for the next two decades at a minimum....

That is clear to anyone who had been tracking events in Syria....

BTW check the posted map which clearly now depicts this green crescent that I have been writing about here since say about the late 2004 timeframe and now in 2017 we are seeing in an accurate map.....the "green crescent".....

Iraq was and still is the cornerstone........

BTW...I am after participating in three wars in my lifetime not a warmonger by any means..I believe that diplomacy has it's place but when it fails one must be able and willing to use force to resolve issues...

Just before heading now to work even on a German holiday as we are tracking a botnet that does not stop for holidays...I just saw a US produced production on Reagan and the Cold War/Iran Contra etc.....as I was in Berlin during those SDI days and the US Pershing and cruise missile debates which then resulted in the INF being signed....

Interestingly the US pulled out all Pershing's and land based cruise missiles AND stopped SDI THEN in 2015 we learned initially that Putin directly and completely violated INF with no resulting punishment as he feels that hobbled Russia....

Notice the crescent shape of the map...then expand that crescent into AFG and on to Pakistan....THEN you will notice that it accurately follows the old Silk Trading Road....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 04-14-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Council Member

BTW...no one is applauding for a ground invasion using US just finally and completely provide the FSA the same support the US has been giving the Communist Kurdish US named terrorist groups PKK/Hezbollah...including CAS....remove Assad and then focus completely on IS....letting FSA handle that as it is a Muslim issue not an US issue...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    This CENTCOM spokesman's comments are insane and so is the fact that he was granted anonymity to make them http://thehill.com/policy/defense/32...-afghanistan#…

THIS is exactly just how naïve this CENTCOM is...in VN the NVA/VC had underground bunkers that resisted shelling's and direct bombing that were destroyed by B52 strikes. of 15tons on three oases that virtually killed most inside those bunkers by blast waves...the same thing is just as easily done in AFG against caves..actually in the end far more effective than a single bomb...

This shows me that you have a leadership generation that tends to agree with Trumpo's thinking and that is dangerous....there must be a true civilian control of the military not vice versa....

ALSO explains just how they can overlook the simple facts that they have been arming and training and providing CAs and SOF support to multiple US named terrorist groups inside Syria..the Communist Kurdish PKK...Iranian Hezbollah and Iraqi Shia Hezbollah....
    For Trumpland bombing is back in business. Smart in Syria. Big in Afghanistan. More in Yemen. But bombs can never substitute for a strategic foreign policy in a set strategy.

Bombing simply covers up that fact as it is again simply a tactical move on the FP battlefield.....kind of like lashing out with no thought behind it to just prove how strong you are....AND that you can go it alone...

Council Member

FIRST Russia asked for CWs evidence THEN DoD complies THEN this Russia MoD response...

Was the same Russian denial drill in eastern Ukraine when US stated Russians were inside Ukraine and posted sat photos of their troops and equipment....

Rus MoD comments on alleged conversation interceptions of Syrian AF chemical attack preparations in Khan Sheikhun
    http://s.mil.ru/2pe9jOC

BUT REMEMBER there are intercepts concerning the Russian shot down of MH17 that they are still claiming are "fakes"....

Council Member

AND Trump thinks IS is going to go peacefully into history...sorry .......

Mosul: #US supplied 140 M1A1 Abrams tanks to #Iraq between 2010 & 2012. #ISIS destroyed 47 Abrams tanks during the #Mosul battle.

Council Member

Major reason for it being quiet in Syria.....

Sand storm in #Homs Province.

Council Member

Syria #RuAF bombing #Idlib province despite ongoing evacuation of 8000 civilians.

Forced displacement is a crime, extremists from both sides reshaping Syria's demographics toward a long sectarian conflict

Council Member

You know Assad's propaganda is spewing some epic BS when even @mod_russia feels compelled to deny it.

Default Moderator adds

This is the Syria in 2017 thread, it is not appropriate to engage in a wider political awareness exchange - notably about President Trump. A number of recent posts have been deleted and if I have time others will be too.

The ToR for the Forum are quite clear this is not a politics at home arena. We cannot avoid politics, but we can avoid what appears to be partisan politics. It may interest some, especially as the news content may not be seen by readers via their usual sources. It may also turn off readers too, who can find that news and debate elsewhere.

Earlier this year the Forum tried to have a debate with a thread elsewhere, that experiment failed and the thread was closed. See:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...=24661&page=31
    davidbfpo

Council Member

OPCW Director General:

- Preliminary assessments show the accusation of #Assad CW responsibility is “credible.”
    http://wapo.st/2pa2VLi?tid=ss_tw#

REMEMBER this is the same OPCW that Putin claimed you cannot trust their research BUT then he wanted them to investigate the attack...or so he stated during UNSC debate.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    WOW...a whole 36 killed.....and that works out to be exactly 611.11 pounds of explosive per killed IS fighter.....NOW if we look at the cost factor THEN Trump used roughly 104M USDs per killed IS fighter....

Sounds like a great "win" for Trump's show.....

I am counting 36 as the report says AT least...well it could have been far fewer actually....

US military's largest non-nuclear bomb killed at least 36 militants of the Islamic State group, Afghan officials say
    http://u.afp.com/4Q9V

Not so sure that figure is even correct unless one did immediate BDA on the ground afterwards.....

US President Donald Trump had earlier called the mission "very, very successful."

AFG Sources "We don't know anything about the casualties so far, but since it is a Daesh (IS) stronghold we think a lot of Daesh fighters may have been killed."
    Syrian social media comment....

Can't disable a runway, but can blow up a mountain.

BUT WAIT...comment from the amazing leader......

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
    The reason you don't generally hit runways is that they are easy and inexpensive to quickly fix (fill in and top)!

Council Member

FSA News @FSAPlatform
    #Infographic || #Syria

Complete updated list of militia groups fighting for the #Assad regime in Syria

Council Member

Leave it up to the Brits to sum up US FP...

Headline of the Day: "#Trump's foreign policy: On a whim and a prayer", in @TheEconomist

Where these people all there again when he dropped MOAB???

Council Member

Syria strike that killed 18 US-allied Arab fighters was third US-led airstrike in a month that may have killed civilians or allies.

AND surprise surprise CENTCOM publicly stated they would investigate all of them...but not a single solitary attempt to do so...

There is a growing sense that the US led air strikes have actually killed far more Syrian civilians and friendly troops than all of the Russian/Assad air strikes during the same period....in the last three months.....

Council Member

Airstrikes on Highway south west of #Idlib city

Not named as to what Assad and or Russian would be bombing on a highway...

FSA News @FSAPlatform
    Statistics of control in #Manshiyah neighbourhood, as #FSA forces make advances in this strategic area of Daraa city

Council Member

Daraa: Al-Bunian Al-Marsous op. room started attack on Muawiyah checkpoint.
    http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=32...91075&z=17&m#…

Council Member

Syria No control for #Assad-forces on Khirbat Adnan north west of #Aleppo

W. #Aleppo: Free Idlib Army shelling Zahraa Artillery Base with 122 mm cannon.
    http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=36...z=14&m#…

N. #Latakia: First Coastal Division destroyed with a #TOW a Regime position with 14.5 mm gun.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 04-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.