This sounds like another question of "adaptability" to me - it certainly seemed (to outsiders like myself, anyway) that in much of 2003/04, small-arms equipment and tactics training was in dire short supply for many traditionally non-combat MOS's. Jessica Lynch, ambushes of supply convoys, etc.

Has the Army done a good job of "hardening" - to shamelessly plagiarize from Kilcullen - CSS and other non-combat arms with effective small-arms/small-unit equipment and tactics training? It would seem to be imperative, and I would assume was rapidly recognized as a major need early in 2003 or 2004.

As far as the deficiencies among 11Bs and others, that seems hard to believe, at least for an outsider like myself. With all the alluded-to trigger time at FOBs and of course out in the field, I would think most combat personnel, at least those with considerable time in-country or previous tours, would be at the razor's edge, so to speak.

Also I wonder how long it will take for a Marine to come in gleefully chirping "every Marine a rifleman"

- Or is this a problem among USMC units as well?

Matt