Quote Originally Posted by BushrangerCZ View Post
It does to certain extent, depends on the regiment. But I was talking about my own rifle, for which I have a license and keep it at home (itīs the same one as issued in army). Well, for 300 bucks, itīs brand new assault rifle directly from factory, 3x cheaper than decent pistol, so itīs natural choice.
PS: Just a detail - guys on the picture are not US Army but USMC (it makes no difference I know).
OK, it was no catch question but what I was trying to establish was if soldier produced a fancy optic scope he had bought somewhere would he be allowed to use it in your army? Would he need to demonstrate his ability with it before being allowed to use it?

Kit wise we bought our own stuff or had it made up for us. Like in the early days we modified captured chest webbing to take FN pouches. Later chest webbing was made by local hunting and camping shops and eventually became general issue.

There were virtually no weapon mods in those days in terms of sights etc (although we did get a x3 power sight on limited issue for which there were few takers as our contacts were generally at such close range). One mod that was quite often done was to the change lever (safety catch) on the FN which people with short thumbs needed and that was to fit a (Brit) SLR change lever. Some even built up the button with a type of Pratley's Putty that was available at the time. While I do not have a short thumb I did have a problem with the FN change lever once. When flying into a scene one winter morning (Rhodesian winters are like your summers) there was a bit on wind chill through the open doors. Landed on the ground and while moving into a stop position had a gook run past. couldn't move the change lever even with both thumbs. The gook and I looked each other in the eye and he kept on running. Had to talk the gunship in to convert him to a martyr to their cause. It made me think. BTW... gloves? only pilots wore golves.

this as opposed to this

I'm sure certain units or patrols would find optics useful under certain circumstances. With local experience I'm sure that decision can be better made by those on the ground. I just question whether it is a blanket "good thing" for all units and soldiers (as in the case of the Queens Royal Lancers).

You may have heard me question the net value of the line infantry adopting the special forces one ear radio headset across the board? I do that because we tested such a one ear head set in 1976 (for stick cmdrs - fire team and above - the aim of which was to place a pressel-switch (push to talk) on the pistol grip so both hands could remain on the weapon when talking on the radio) and it was not adopted because of technical problems at the time and resistance from stick comds at having their one ear closed off). I continue to question the PRR on the same basis and especially that every soldier now has one ear closed off. I don't doubt that it is beneficial tactically but believe that a non restrictive headset would be a better bet. ... and remember what the intention of the special forces rig was in the first place.