Page 36 of 239 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine: military (Aug '14 to mid-June '15) closed

Council Member

Another day in the Ukrainian "ceasefire" the Russian troops and mercenaries signed.

Oh! What a Lovely Ceasefire. Russian terrorists tweet image of Russian Forces live fire at Ukrainian forces.

pic.twitter.com/IGeAJcS060

NOTICE---the Russian National flag on the APC--then this from the OSCE SMM teams in the Ukraine today:

LOL Russia's #OSCE envoy, said "There is nothing. No evidence... [OSCE] have no evidence of regular #Russian troops fighting in #Ukraine

AND the "so called ceasefire fighting" continues:

Ukrainian T-64 tanks, fight off Russian attacks in #Nikishyne.

Invaders attack the village since 5 days.

pic.twitter.com/NaMVOFsX2R

This is #Dokuchaievsk. Grads fired by #Russia|ns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUC8svz4px8

One clearly audible #Grad missile attack on #Donetsk airport
    pic.twitter.com/0tutEXHco6 via @Conflict_Report
    http://liveuamap.com/en/2014/27-sept...ack-on-donetsk

You can hear fresh shelling every 30-90 seconds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fBgVXH7Bo
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Council Member

One of the three Russian Nuclear C and C airborne aircraft pictured below---reported there are three in the inventory and all are flying.

RUAF Il-87 Maxdome once again pictured. airborne at #Chkalovsk. #Russia pic.twitter.com/kH8mdYqH0a via @Military_NewsNL

Council Member

Lest we forget exactly how Russia treats their "own separatists" inside the RF.

In the week marking 15th anniv. of start 2nd Chechen War - This what happens to separatists in Russia.

pic.twitter.com/ASSOY5AMzV

In Chechnya, Russian Army executed 1000s civilians, buried mass graves near Grozny
    http://thenorthcaucasus.wordpress.co...8/mass-graves/

pic.twitter.com/h1PJJ2EnRM
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Council Member

This is an interesting map perspective of how the Russians "see" their ongoing battle in eastern Ukraine.

Latest #Russia|n battle map of "greater Transnistria"
    v/ a well-known Kremlin site

pic.twitter.com/ynVcW8U8QW

You will notice that inside the Russian perspective battle map there are a number of blue colored Ukrainian army encirclements that are still seem to be holding on to their locations regardless of ongoing "ceasefire" fighting in and around them--that is an interesting development--begs the question just how are they holding on being surrounded are they are?
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Outlaw,

You're reading into the situation your own narrative. Poroshenko's "[suckering] in" of Russia comes at great cost and risk, not to just him personally, but also to Ukraine's political stability and territorial integrity. And if true it opens him up to charges of treason for essentially enabling the Russians to seize a third of the country and kill thousands of his Ukrainian countrymen. That is what you are suggesting. It's not offensive to me. It's patently absurd.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Outlaw,

You're reading into the situation your own narrative. Poroshenko's "[suckering] in" of Russia comes at great cost and risk, not to just him personally, but also to Ukraine's political stability and territorial integrity. And if true it opens him up to charges of treason for essentially enabling the Russians to seize a third of the country and kill thousands of his Ukrainian countrymen. That is what you are suggesting. It's not offensive to me. It's patently absurd.
    Let's see AP just how absurd the concept is;

1. right now the Russian economy is staggering under the same sanctions you claimed would not effect Russia
    2. the "war costs" to Russia for their troops and heavy equipment goes into the 100s of millions of USDs
    3. the internal population turmoil about the invasion by Russian troops and their deaths of the Ukraine---cannot be determined right now but is potent in the long run
    4. the West does not currently trust Putin and that is for the long run
    5. the Russia Army losses are far higher than Putin and the FSB ever anticipated
    6. the Donbas--and this is critical and yet you seem to fail to "see" it---after the Crimea Russia was in fact going to make a move on the Donbas---which you by the way did not think it would happen right AP? You do remember I stated a long number of times he was going to move into the Donbas just as he is determined for a Odessa land corridor to the Crimea
    7. you even failed to take notice of a Ukrainian financial and economic assessment of losing the Donbas would actually not hurt the Ukraine that I included on the non military thread side

AND oh by the way AP you did notice that quietly through the back door new rebuilt Russian heavy equipment is coming into the Ukraine from a number of NATO members, oh let's see there is a contract now in place where former US SOF are training the medical side and weapons training and small unit tactics training and oh by the way the US led NATO exercises in western Ukraine is now training UA Brigade and BN staffs---

So all of this would have and or not have occurred HAD Russia not entered the Ukraine--come on AP---absurd--think it through.

AND this is critical a bulk of the UA was protected and has refitted and tactical moved into new locations effectively blocking optional moves that are certainly going to come---and the price--Russia paid it.

You also failed to notice in the Russia purported tactical map of the military situation you might have noticed an interesting set of surrounded Ukrainian troops which if you had read the Minsk agreements---they will remain in place--ever wonder why?

AND you even missed the most important issue---due to the Russian troops marching in the sanctions became even heavier--WHAT if Putin had not moved in?

Remember AP the Ukraine being far more in tune to the EU than you is saw the last sanction round faltering at the last minute---weaknesses being displayed by Hungary, Slovenia, Finland and the Czechs--so if Russia had not moved in would there have been the last round of sanctions?--IMO not really.

Think it through AP--remember "seeing" something does not translate into "understanding".

Let's see the rebuilding of the occupied portions of the Donbas does not fall to Kyiv if the separatists remain under the New Russian flag---who is then going to rebuild it for them ---Russia?

Remember under your scenario--Russia will have to step in in order to maintain the illusion of support to fellow ethnic Russians and Putin will fail at that just as he has in the Crimea.

The damaged portions of what remains in the Donbas will be repaired by the West--so a plus there.

Let's see on the military side 2500 killed and wounded not really bad considering the opponent placed 15-20K mercenaries and Russian troops into the east.

So again AP---just what are the so called "wins" for Russian troops and especially for Putin in the Donbas as I can only "see" negatives.

THEN go back in slow fashion and count through the "wins" for the Ukraine--you might learn something.

Remember what appears to be "absurd" to us is not so "absurd" to others.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Council Member

AP--remember what I said before here the Putin end state is a Russian land corridor to the Crimea and it would actually then place the Ukraine into full dependence of Russia due to having no Black Sea ports.

Backed up by he way by the Ukrainian economic analysis I posted here.

Russian invasion forces resume their assault on #Mariupol.
    Massive #Grad salvo hits eastern sururbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQPF4z_vxQ

Notice AP now the UA is responding in kind to the Russian fires.

The Ukrainian army says, it responded with a #Grad salvo to the Russian attack at eastern #Mariupol.

By the way---this is from the artillery firing side from the Russians provided by a UK based Russian TV journalist who has gone over to the dark side and is reporting from the Russian side who by the way has either participated in and or witnessed countless Russian war crimes on Ukrainian POWs.

Ceasefire? What ceasefire? This is a pretty incredible video of artillery from @GrahamWP_UK on the frontlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ewwABRD_o

Notice the Russian supported mercenaries are still firing from civilian enters although they claimed before Russia marched in the Ukrainians were the ones firing from civilian positions.

Talking about #WAR_CRIMES.
    Russian invaders fire D-30 from residential area in E #Ukraine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4DgqM72xA

pic.twitter.com/r1iEXkTox
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Outlaw,

Again, you are deliberately misinterpreting my comments. I never stated that sanctions would "not effect" Russia. However, I did state sanctions are unlikely to reverse Russia's policy in Ukraine - that's a very different statement. And last I checked, Russian proxies still occupy parts of Ukraine.

Also, I never stated that Russia would not intervene in eastern Ukraine. In fact, I stated that Russian credibility would compel Russian intervention if the separatists faced annihilation by the Ukrainian Army.

But feel free in calling Poroshenko a clever traitor by inviting the Russians to seize a third of his country and kill thousands of his countrymen - and for what? To just give Russia the Donbas anyway? Yes, it is absurd.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Outlaw,

Again, you are deliberately misinterpreting my comments. I never stated that sanctions would "not effect" Russia. However, I did state sanctions are unlikely to reverse Russia's policy in Ukraine - that's a very different statement. And last I checked, Russian proxies still occupy parts of Ukraine.

Also, I never stated that Russia would not intervene in eastern Ukraine. In fact, I stated that Russian credibility would compel Russian intervention if the separatists faced annihilation by the Ukrainian Army.

But feel free in calling Poroshenko a clever traitor by inviting the Russians to seize a third of his country and kill thousands of his countrymen - and for what? To just give Russia the Donbas anyway? Yes, it is absurd.
    So again AP when you know Russia is going to take the Donbas as he has stated he will, and you know the EU/NATO/US will not go to war---then you develop your own survival strategy and then implement it--he is a through and through businessman and it is in fact a business survival strategy to protect your "company".

He has protected the UA and allowed I to refit, retrain and redeploy this time with more tanks, anti tanks weapons and artillery ---actually not a bad move. AND as a CEO he is anticipating that there will be more Russian economic sanctions if Russia makes a move toward other Ukrainian cities and towns outside the Donbas ie Kharkiv and Odessa. The core questions remains---will the Ukraine survive long enough to see the Russian economy totally stall and hit the civilian population forcing Putin to pull back.

BUT again you did not read the posted article concerning the Ukraine by a leading Russian fascist did you?

So I misinterpreted your comments that what "negotiations work", ---reference you Minsk agreements.

For anybody who is in any doubt: Ukrainian ceasefire is only holding where it doesn't count. Elsewhere: game on…
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Council Member

AP--notice the Russian FM comments at the UN:

Not once is that any mention that just maybe--- just maybe Russian actions triggered anything---it just of the same old "it ain't us" mentality.

Do they really believe the world really believes them any more?

Again as in the Stalin and Brezhnev eras---it is all the fault of the West.

Lavrov: People of Crimea exercised self-determination. West has ignored atrocities in Ukraine. MH17 investigation has been "drawn out."

NOTE: Not quite the truth on MH17 and the West has taken note of Russian POW war crimes---Russia pushed back and states all the time "it ain't us".

Lavrov: NATO is "unable to change its genetic code that was created during the Cold War."

NOTE: So what is the flip side---Russia has it's own genetic code---ie "fascism" that it calls "nationalism" and it definitely ignores it.

Lavrov: Russian proposals for new European security treaty were rejected. Security is only for NATO countries.

NOTE: NATO did respond but Russia failed to come back after the NATO response because they did not accept the Russian proposals.

Lavrov: "Western partners did not heed our numerous warnings" not to violate UN charter.

NOTE: I can count at least six major Russian UN violations since 2008.

Lavrov: goal of "colored revolutions and other projects" is to "create instability."

NOTE: THIS AP is a core Russian truth --they feared the Maidan and it's influence on the Russian population.

Thus the move on the Ukraine under the guise of "protecting ethnic Russians from deep discrimination" which by the way ethnic Russians are only 44% of the Donbas population 56% are Ukrainian.

Lavrov: Washington "openly declared" its right to unilateral use of force anywhere. Military interference has become the norm.

NOTE: So what is the Putin Doctrine since 2008?
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Council Member

Putin in national Russian TV publicly stated that he had given orders to the FSB and Russian border Security Services to secure the border to the Ukraine.

Or at least that is what Putin publicly stated. So as we have seen the reality---was it in fact an elaborate lie or the truth?

Video from AFP is quite interesting as it basically calls Putin an out right liar when compared to his public statement concerning Russian border security.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...eo-366180.html

Council Member

AP---here is the basic difference we have I tend to believe what Putin and his radical nationalist fascist ideologue partners say when it comes to the Ukraine.

Example--just what has Russia used as English word terms to describe Russian soldiers inside the Ukraine?

1. they simply got lost
    2. they are "vacationers"
    3. they are on "contract"

Then on the 26th at the UN the Russian FM uses the new term below;

Lavrov calls Russian soldiers "Russian Volunteers" http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2014/09/28/7039122/

At some point one tends to simply think the Russians want to redo the standard English dictionary for terms that actually describe the term "soldier".

BUT then Russian troops tend to use social media and one then sees this inside the Ukraine.

Russian soldiers from Ryazan last week in Starobeshevo
    pic.twitter.com/WCxlszMfw1

AND yet the Russian OSCE ambassador states also---"it ain't us".

Then this Russian ideologue steps up and voices something he voiced shortly after the annexation of the Crimea and that is not what "by accident"---then when one understands that he is simply a hard core Russian "fascist" hidden in nationalist terms and that he his lose to Putin then you ears have to open and attempt to see the bigger picture.

See AP when I see also key Hungarian political types who are also on the extreme far right and I see Slovenian far right politicians say the same things since the beginning of the Crimea then my ears tend to pay attention as what they are saying is not by "accident".

I have been mentioning it here a number of times---Putin used the far right to strengthen himself and I am not so sure he does not now fully identify with them---truly understand the Russian far right and you will understand Putin---actually very simple.

Now read this slowly and thoroughly and you will understand Putin's views towards the Ukraine which he never speaks about but his actions do speak volumes.

Staunton, September 25 – At a time when Vladimir Putin has made what was earlier unthinkable into reality, it would be a major mistake to ignore a recent statement by Vladimir Zhirinovsky about how Ukraine will be reduced in size or even eliminated altogether in the coming years, according to Andrey Illarionov.

In an article today on Svobodnaya Zona, the Russian commentator says that those who have dismissed the often outrageous remarks of Zhirinovsky in the past have regretted it because stripped of his often hyperbolic adjectives and adverbs, they have often served as earlier warnings about the direction Putin subsequently takes.

In an interview to the German newspaper Bild this week, Illarionov points out, Zhirinovsky said that Ukraine “in its current form does not have a future. If the process of the disintegration of the country continues at its former tempos, then already by 2019, Ukraine as an independent state will not exist.

Because of what the Russian parliamentarian describes as the anti-Russian policy of the Ukrainian government, Kyiv has infuriated Russian speakers in Ukraine and thus created “with its own hands” the crisis it now faces. Russia has claims against its territory as a result, as do for historical reasons Poland, Romania and Hungary.

“Five years from now,” Zhirinovsky says, “in place of Ukraine will be six or seven regions with a population of ten to twelve million people. And that,” he continues, “is the most optimistic scenario” for the part of the world.

Illarionov argues that everyone should pay attention to Zhirinovsky’s words, “not of course because they reflect the real situation of the majority of ethnic Russians and/or Russian speakers of Ukraine toward the Ukrainian state … but because Zhirinovsky … is fulfilling the most important public function of revealing the character of thought and the direction of preparation for action of the Supreme Ruler,” Vladimir Putin.

And the need to take Zhirinovsky seriously in this case is all the more true because the ideas he shared with “Bild” are ones that he has promoted before. In March of this year, for example, he send messages to Warsaw, Budapest and Bucharest proposing the “de facto partition of Ukraine.”

According to Zhirinovsky at that time, if the others took their share of Ukraine and Russia annexed Crimea, Sevastopol, and the eight regions (oblasts) of the so-called “Novorossiya,” what would remain of Ukraine would be nine regions plus Kyiv on the territory of which now live approximately 14.7 million people.

Another reason for thinking that Zhirinovsky is speaking for more than himself is that two weeks ago, an identical idea about the partition of Ukraine was floated by the Czech radio station Impuls, a reflection of the thinking of pro-Putin Prague leader Vaclav Klaus.

Somewhat before that, in May 2014, Illarionov points out, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Urban made some similar comments about ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine.

What all these figures have in common is that they are operating under a “common” political and ideological conception long pushed by Putin. Speaking at the Russia-NATO Council meeting in Bucharest on April 2, 2008, the Russian president said the following:

“In Ukraine one third of the population are ethnic Russians. Of 45 million people even according to the official census, there are 17 million Russians. There are regions where only Russians live, such as Crimea: 90 percent are Russians. Ukraine in general is a very complex country. Ukraine in that form in which it exists today was one which was created in Soviet times. It received territory from Poland after World War II, from Czechoslovakia and Romania and even now not all the border problems on the Black Sea with Romania have been solved.

This means that [Ukraine] received enormous territories from Russia on the east and south. This is a very complex state formation. And if one introduces there the NATO problem and other problems, this in general can put on the brink of existence its statehood as such. Consequently, it is necessary to act very, very carefully. We do not have any right of veto…but I want that all of us when we decide on issues of this kind understand that we also have our own interests. Well, 17 million Russians live in Ukraine. Who can tell us that we do not have any interests there? The south, the south of Ukraine is completely [Russian]; there live only Russians.”

“Thus,” Illarionov says, “Putin’s strategic goal, the liquidation of contemporary Ukraine has remained unchanged at a minimum since the spring of 2008, which by the way does not leave a stone on a stone of the infantile commentaries of certain Western observers (like former US ambassador to Russia Mjchael McFaul) about the annexation of Crimea as “a sudden, emotional and instinctive reaction of Putin to the Maidan revolution and the flight of Yanukovych.”

“The fresh statements of V.Zhirinovsky, V. Klaus, and V. Urban are valuable,” Illarionov continues, “because they shed light not only on the strategic goals of V. Putin” but also on his “active measures” with other members of what is becoming “the Putin international.”
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-28-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Council Member

I am anticipating Russian troops to be on the more within the next 72-96 hours as the indicators are picking up again.

From the supposed "negotiation successes" there is nothing that was implemented and the "ceasefire" never really was a "ceasefire".

1. More "volunteers' (remember the Russian FM formally used this term in the UN speech) having been pouring into the Ukraine and wear the uniform now of the New Russian Army so therefore no more Russian troops can be "found" inside the Ukraine.

2. Per the "successful negotiations" of Minsk all Russian troops and mercenaries were to have left---instead more arrived and none left.

3. The mercenaries and Russian troops were to pull back their heavy artillery and MRLS systems 30 kms from the buffer zone--per the "successful negotiations" that did not work exactly to plan--INSTEAD the Russian Army units just redeployed to new locations in preparations for new assaults and the shellings just get on continuing. The UA started to comply but stopped when they 'saw" no compliance on the other side and are now in fact returning fire when fired upon.

4. Russian troops and mercenaries launched a total of 72 artillery/MRLS shellings and ground attacks JUST in the last 24 hours way up in the scale of the last ten or so days being used as an "average day"

5. the mercenaries have even stopped the POW exchange which even Russia supposedly supported and hyped in their media as a critical part of the "successful" Putin peace plan

So in effect the so called "successful negotiations" of Minsk really are just a smokescreen and really are a failure.

Why the move coming by Russians on Mariupol and Odessa?---for the New Russia to succeed Russia needs a port and by the way 36% of all Russian weapons exports went through Mariupol last year.

I also suspect they fully understand that the "New Russia" is financially dependent on the Ukraine and not vice versa thus the need for a land corridor between the Moldovian enclave, "New Russia' and the Crimea giving Russia complete control of the Black Sea oil and gas fields and military control of the Black Sea in general

Russia is now in a hurry as their economy is sinking faster than anticipated with a new super low USD/Euro Ruble exchange rate hitting yesterday and now even the "man in the Russian streets" is seeing the impact and is starting to ask questions about "why there is a war with the Ukraine?"

THEN the attempt by the Russian FM at the UN on the 26th to paint the US and NATO as the main causes of the Ukrainian problem---did not really work out well as the UN GS at the end stood up and basically told Russia it was not helping to work towards a solution.

Have not heard type of Russian speech since the depths of the Cold War days.

So next military move by Russia is programed and it is not a question of if but when.

AND no "negotiations" will end what is going on until either the West states definitively that they are now going to support the Ukraine militarily which will not happen and or the Russian economy collapses---which seems to be in the process of melting down.

IMO the US is seeing the "melt down" and are somewhat surprised thus the Sec. of Commerce's statement in Kyiv this week---there will be no more sanctions as they are already painful enough.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-28-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Council Member

[QUOTE=OUTLAW 09;161574]AP---here is the basic difference we have -I tend to believe what Putin and his radical nationalist fascist ideologue partners say when it comes to the Ukraine.

One has to "see" the drumbeat of this type of Russian 'fascist" argument in order to "understand" all 'negotiations" are doomed to failure.

This was taken from Russia media and is just another in a long list of such articles calling for the eventual destruction of the Ukraine.

An interesting read if nothing more than it gives a massive insight into the Russian "fascist" mindset which many in the West seem to want to overlook as an underlying driver.

NOTE the author's comment in the second to last paragraph---telling.

‘Novorossiya’ is where a National Socialist Future for Russia is Being Prepared

Paul Goble September 26, 2014

Staunton, September 26 – The pro-Moscow militants in Ukraine’s Donbas backed by Russian forces represent a threat not only to the territorial integrity of Ukraine but to the future of Russia because the leaders of “Novorossiya” combine nationalism and socialism in a way that recalls some of the greatest evils of the 20th century.

In a commentary in Vzglyad yesterday, Petr Akopov speaks about “the enormous influence” which “Novorossiya” could have “on all of Russia” and points out that while Igor Strelkov is “an imperialist and a monarchist, many local commanders have socialist” and distinctly “’Soviet’” views.

The Moscow commentator does not take the next step and speak of national socialism – most Russians still refer to Hitler’s movement as the Nazis and avoid mentioning that it rested on that combination – but the threat of the revival of such an ideological system in Putin’s Russia is all too real.

Such a danger may be especially great precisely because of the way in which Akopov describes what is happening ideologically in “Novorossiya.” He speaks of “a synthesis of the Red and White idea,” which he says “the Kremlin is seeking to find for Russia,” a synthesis that will allow the emergence of a just social system in the Russian world.

Akopov’s observation about this combination of nationalism and socialism comes in the course of his survey of what in fact “Novorossiya” is or can be for Russia. According to the commentator, there are three distinctive answers, given that returning the region to Kyiv’s control is not going to happen.

The first approach, he says, is that “Novorossiya must reunite with Russia.” Not yet but rather after “the further disintegration of Ukraine and the increase in the size of Novorossiya as a minimum to the full borders of Donetsk and Luhansk regions and still better with Kharkiv, Zaporozhe and Herson” as well.

Such an annexation and its timing – it could occur “a year from now or three” – is not critical. Russia will simply take what it wants and leave the remainder of Ukraine “under a Western protectorate,” where Akopov says, he hopes that its collapse will continue and thus allow Russia to absorb the rest bit by bit.

The second possibility the commentator lists is that “Novorossiya is only a transitional form of the struggle for all of Ukraine.” Obviously, he says, “Russia cannot allow the departure of Ukraine to the West and therefore Novorossiya is needed only as an instrument in the struggle with the United States and the European Union for power in Ukraine.”

In this case, Moscow will use “Novorossiya” as leverage on Kyiv and as a means for the return of all of Ukraine to “a union with Russia.” Neither this option nor the first will be affected all that much by the ideological mix that is emerging in the Donbas now, the Moscow commentator suggests.

But the third possible course of development is different in that regard as well as others. Under its terms. “Russia must use all methods, military, political and economic to work for the speedy end of the Ukrainian state and the expansion of Novorossiya,” Akopov says. Then Russia will conclude a treaty with the new state of “Novorossiya” and be affected by its ideology.

Putin, the commentator says, “obviously is going along the second path, fighting for all of Ukraine but if, God forbid,” Akopov continues, “things will work out so that it will become clear that this struggle will require from Russia not two or three years but a much larger period of time, then he could move to the third variant.”

If that happens, Akopov says, then “the issue of the Novorossiya ideology will become key, even decisive, in defining the future of Russia.”

Council Member

Outside of the word "ceasefire" which seems to be unable to be translated into Russian maybe we need a new definition of it to explain exactly what is ongoing inside eastern Ukraine.

Maybe something like---"rolling shelling peace" or "fire in place when ready peace" or maybe even better---"redeploy in the wrong direction peace"

Or maybe the Russians and mercenaries "misread" the Minsk Two agreements to pull out all MRLS and artillery over 100mms----maybe they "read" it to mean everything UNDER 100mms.

NSDC " Russia deployed more military hardware in Dzhankoi /North Crimea"

Russian invasion forces continue their offensive's exactly where they want. Donetsk airport, Pisky, Avdviika, Debaltseve and Shchastya

Council Member

From the pro Russian side of the eastern fighting---here is their 26/27 Sept military map.

UA still holding four pockets inside Russian controlled territory.

https://twitter.com/Black_Bomb/statu...032897/photo/1

Leave it up to twitter to come up with a far better definition of what a "ceasefire" is.

Taken from Orwell for those that might not like Orwell-----it fits.

"Battle is ceasefire"

Military sitmap from UA side today.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status...087104/photo/1

From Donetsk airport today:

Fights raging in #Yasynuvata (pic 1) & at #Donetsk airport (pic 2). Indiscriminate shelling, gun battles, the works.

pic.twitter.com/jD3Ei52JLm

Again from the airport today:

Kittens, Christ & all. #Russians storm #Ukrainian-held airport (uncut).
    pic.twitter.com/OfMJF4J6u8

This report by @tsnua from inside #Donetsk airport 2 days ago. Today pitched battle being fought there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad59kOCxkeY&app=desktop
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Council Member

It seems more and more journalists and authors are picking up on the Russian "fascism".

It must be thoroughly understood in order to understand Putin's moves right now.

It is interesting that it was seen in 2007 by others but not by the West and the US--wonder why?---maybe everyone was blinded by the "Russian reset'.

And made the fatal mistake that one makes when dealing with a "fascist" country---"negotiations"--- the false assumption that it always works.

Reflection, 2007 article: "The alarming spread of fascism in Putin’s Russia" and the cult of “Nashi”
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...a-nashi-soviet

How some far right Europeans are still tied to Russia via the former KGB.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-fa...kgb-honey-trap
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    I am anticipating Russian troops to be on the more within the next 72-96 hours as the indicators are picking up again.

From the supposed "negotiation successes" there is nothing that was implemented and the "ceasefire" never really was a "ceasefire".

1. More "volunteers' (remember the Russian FM formally used this term in the UN speech) having been pouring into the Ukraine and wear the uniform now of the New Russian Army so therefore no more Russian troops can be "found" inside the Ukraine.

2. Per the "successful negotiations" of Minsk all Russian troops and mercenaries were to have left---instead more arrived and none left.

3. The mercenaries and Russian troops were to pull back their heavy artillery and MRLS systems 30 kms from the buffer zone--per the "successful negotiations" that did not work exactly to plan--INSTEAD the Russian Army units just redeployed to new locations in preparations for new assaults and the shellings just get on continuing. The UA started to comply but stopped when they 'saw" no compliance on the other side and are now in fact returning fire when fired upon.

4. Russian troops and mercenaries launched a total of 72 artillery/MRLS shellings and ground attacks JUST in the last 24 hours way up in the scale of the last ten or so days being used as an "average day"

5. the mercenaries have even stopped the POW exchange which even Russia supposedly supported and hyped in their media as a critical part of the "successful" Putin peace plan

So in effect the so called "successful negotiations" of Minsk really are just a smokescreen and really are a failure.

Why the move coming by Russians on Mariupol and Odessa?---for the New Russia to succeed Russia needs a port and by the way 36% of all Russian weapons exports went through Mariupol last year.

I also suspect they fully understand that the "New Russia" is financially dependent on the Ukraine and not vice versa thus the need for a land corridor between the Moldovian enclave, "New Russia' and the Crimea giving Russia complete control of the Black Sea oil and gas fields and military control of the Black Sea in general

Russia is now in a hurry as their economy is sinking faster than anticipated with a new super low USD/Euro Ruble exchange rate hitting yesterday and now even the "man in the Russian streets" is seeing the impact and is starting to ask questions about "why there is a war with the Ukraine?"

THEN the attempt by the Russian FM at the UN on the 26th to paint the US and NATO as the main causes of the Ukrainian problem---did not really work out well as the UN GS at the end stood up and basically told Russia it was not helping to work towards a solution.

Have not heard type of Russian speech since the depths of the Cold War days.

So next military move by Russia is programed and it is not a question of if but when.

AND no "negotiations" will end what is going on until either the West states definitively that they are now going to support the Ukraine militarily which will not happen and or the Russian economy collapses---which seems to be in the process of melting down.

IMO the US is seeing the "melt down" and are somewhat surprised thus the Sec. of Commerce's statement in Kyiv this week---there will be no more sanctions as they are already painful enough.
    "Battle is ceasefire"---Russian troop and mercenary fighting pace is definitely piking up today.

Just maybe there is panic inside the Putin circle about the impending Russian economy crash since the Russian FM is now 'urging a Russian reset 2.0" and notice there is no counter sanctions as Russia has nothing to "hurt" the West with if they do some kind of new sanctions as it will always come back on Russia in the end.

It must have been a sobering realization on the part of Russia that despite all their hype about striking back against the latest sanctions--nothing, nada, nichts could be done against the West---"thus the Reset 2.0 and let's get back to business as usual approach being offered".

Now the Russian MoD is getting into the inf war business:

Breaking combat video: #Russia|n MOD newswire @zvezdanews report #Donetsk airport stormed.
    http://youtu.be/n0FiOWEv8kE
    http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mi...81417-uwjv.htm

NSDC: Russian militants shelled Schastya with mortars pic.twitter.com/1iBpKgKUQU

Appears that Russia is getting ready to move troops out of the Crimea again into eastern Ukraine to expand their "New Russia".

In #Crimea #Russia moves forces close to admin border w/ Kherson region: 30vehicles to Jankoy, 300troops to near Chongar @NSDC_ua

Russia deploy field tent camp near Chonhar. About 300 military personnel via @rnbo_gov_ua
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Council Member

Another example of Russian spin--Russian has been on a massive new modernization program for weapons, equipment, military forces and nuclear weapons under their 2020 program and to argue that they have not been rearming and refitting with some very new sophisticated weapons systems is outright spin.

He even missed the fact that they have violated the INF on one of their new nuclear missiles and have not disarmed under the OSCE agreements.

Russia's Lavrov Says Time Has Come to Upgrade Nuclear, Conventional Arms
    Reuters
    Sep. 28 2014 15:56
    Last edited 15:56

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was quoted on Sunday as saying that the time had come for his country to modernise its nuclear and conventional arsenals.

"I don't think we are on the verge of a new arms race. At least, Russia definitely won't be part of it. In our case, it's just that the time has come for us to modernise our nuclear and conventional arsenals," Lavrov said, according to a transcript of an interview with Russia Today television published on its website.

"We have a long-term armament program, which takes into account our economic situation and, of course, the need to have efficient and modern defensive capabilities to protect our national interest ... We haven't been doing much in this regard for a number of years," he added.

Council Member

There have been an increasing number of reports concerning infighting between the various mercenary groups and also with the RF troops over the Russian troop attacks on UA positions.

Over the past few days we have got to know of at least 5 cases when negotiating groups of the local separatists came to emplacements of Ukrainian military in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions with additional requests under observation of truce. The local militants stated that they honored the agreements of the peace plan but as a result of that they had confrontations with Russian Cossacks and uniformed services (representatives of the Armed Forces, Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff, and Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation). Those representatives tried to force them to break the truce and perform provocative attacks. Because of this, the separatists asked Ukrainian military not to fire back and assured that “they will sort it out with the Don Cossacks, Chechens, as well as the feds who continue to provoke attacks”.

At the same time we receive information that the federals are preparing anti-retreat forces and have even already threatened with executions for refusals to assault Ukrainian emplacements.

By the way, there is a video in the Internet how one of the Russian battalions, “Kalmius”, despite the peace agreement, continues to shell Ukrainian emplacements from 2S1 Gvozdika and 2S3 Akatsiya self-propelled howitzers.

Recall that over the last days the number of internecine confrontations between the terrorists and the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation has significantly increased. After one of the militant groups in Donetsk had blown up 4 howitzers and one 2S4 Tyulpan large-caliber mortar of the Russian Forces that had performed provocative shelling of Ukrainian emplacements, there were several clashes between the groupings with different political views. After that there were several cases of mortar shelling of warring factions, which resulted in loss of both military equipment and manpower.

Besides, some terrorist groups, which do not honor the truce, continue attempts both to shell and even to attack Ukrainian emplacements. For example, today in the area of Nikishyne militants conducted another attack. As a result, there are 2 wounded and no killed from the Ukrainian side, the attack was repulsed, all checkpoints were held. There were casualties among the terrorists, however, the exact number is not known.