SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Adversary / Threat

Adversary / Threat One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Talk about (or with?) them.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2010   #1
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Sexual violence in conflict and terrorism

Not an easy subject and a quick, simple Google search found many articles, often from familiar places where Small Wars feature in modern times.

The search was prompted by Jessica Stern who has written a reflective piece in The Washington Post weekend edition, which is behind a free registration "wall": http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061803205.html

Or use the attachment, with some passages in bold on the issue.

What attracted my attention were a few passages and I use three:
Quote:
Why does the threat of violent death alter some of us, even if subtly, forever? Why does it make us unusually numb or calm when we ought to feel terrified?...

I realized the possible importance of the frequency of rape of students at the radical madrassas I studied in Pakistan. I have felt, in my interviews of terrorists, that there was an element of sexual humiliation at work, but it was rarely more than an intuition on my part. Could sexual traumas contribute to contemporary terrorism?
Another good article on the problem: http://pajamasmedia.com/phyllischesl...cruiting-tool/

I have not read about sexual violence as a factor, although I've heard references to the impact of torture by government agencies and non-state groups - notably from North Africa.
Attached Files
File Type: doc JessicaWaPO.doc (50.0 KB, 670 views)