Thread: LTC John Nagl: collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I blame the dramatic decline of teaching standards in history in the United States for this, since many readers wouldn't know an actual history book if it bit them on the backside, and even if they can recognize one they don't have the tools to correctly evaluate it. In our haste to close the "math and science gap" (a source of much hands-wringing since the early 1970s), we've left history and english behind.
    What is most alarming is that we are now on the second and third generations of people who are lacking these skills. This means we have people who were taught by people without these skill teaching today. I agree with you completely on this. I have found it most troublesome dealing with some of the new and outrageous interpretations of literature, but some of the interpretations of history I have seen are almost beyond understanding.

Adam L

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    I agree with you completely on this. I have found it most troublesome dealing with some of the new and outrageous interpretations of literature, but some of the interpretations of history I have seen are almost beyond understanding.
    This is not new. From my perspective, people have misinterpreted Clausewitz, and Sun-Tzu for a 100 years. In addition, all that is old and written is not necessarily good.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.