Thread: Infantry Unit Tactics, Tasks, Weapons, and Organization

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

A couple of observations based on,

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Hartke View Post
    @ Based on the teams, I work out an infantry platoon at 44 men? That's a bit on the steep side.

@ The infantry squad appears to be a hybrid 2 x fireteam concept, which I don't like and I don't think works. – plus no mention of radios and all the important stuff.

@ Based on the variety of ammunition natures, Platoon (and Coy) re-supply would be a challenge, as would tracking section and platoon ammo states. Loading and scales would also need to be looked at.

@ Why do I want scouts and MG men in a platoon HQ? Where are the Signallers, and FOOs? The Company HQ also has the same problem.

@ Only two medics for a Company?

@ I count at least 3 different types of “sniper” weapons. I am big fan of close precision engagement, but this a bit over the top. Why no 8.6mm? Why M110 and 417?

@ A 3-man MG team may find itself over loaded, if it wants to employ tripods and carry about 1,000 rounds – which is a useful first line scale. I’d scale an M240 team at 3 guys for the light role (500 rounds) and 5 guys for sustained fire. Where are the radios and night vision? There are the same problems with the AGL – which looks an interesting weapon.

@ The Spike MR/LR team will be overloaded. Spike MR needs two men to carry it, and you probably also need a dedicated C3I guy or commander, because you are going to be doing some pretty complex edgy stuff when you are doing LOAL indirect shoots.

@ The Mortar team is good, but needs a radio, and a C3I guy. Who does the FDC? These days, you don't need a dedicated FDC, thanks to PDAs, but someone needs to be commanding and directing the fires.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 08-26-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Use of common sense
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition