Thread: Suggested reading for graduate seminar at Columbia on US Role in World Affairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I would recommend against Dirty wars by Jeremy Scahill. His description of some of the regular training i.e. sere shows he really doesn't get it. The whole book just slams JSOC and coddles people associated with AQ or other extremist groups. The book is not even handed about our military successes or failures.
    In an academic environment, "[slamming] JSOC" would probably offer a fresh perspective from some of the other recommended readings. I didn't get the impression that the book "coddles people associated with AQ...". From what I recall, not one person interviewed in the book questioned the fundamental legitimacy or legality of US policy; the criticism focused instead on how the strategy played out, particularly in Yemen and Somalia.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Murphy,

All the links I have provided have some to a high degree of bias, but they do discuss views how some see SOF being employed in the future in support of what you are calling shadow wars. I have used a lot of Linda's books and papers because she is probably the foremost analyst on current and future SOF. Not all her ideas are in line with SOCOM's current thinking, so she is somewhat of a independent voice.

This particular paper written by different authors sums up much of the latest thinking on the future of SOF.

http://www.csbaonline.org/publicatio...ations-forces/

Beyond the Ramparts: The Future of U.S. Special Operations Forces

From the crucible of more than a decade of continuous combat operations, Special Operations Forces (SOF) have emerged as one of the most cost-effective “weapons systems” in the U.S. military arsenal and a major source of strategic advantage for the nation. How can the United States capitalize on such development and extend the SOF’s strategic advantage well into the future?

This study reviews the key elements of SOF’s transformation since 9/11, outlines the key national security challenges and relates them to the future of the SOF mission. It also offers specific recommendations for reshaping SOF and identifies new capabilities which require immediate investment and prioritization in the upcoming QDR.
    Highly recommend you search out articles that criticize the over militarization of U.S. foreign policy to get a balanced view, and also research the legal aspects of the current shadow wars.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    In an academic environment, "[slamming] JSOC" would probably offer a fresh perspective from some of the other recommended readings. I didn't get the impression that the book "coddles people associated with AQ...". From what I recall, not one person interviewed in the book questioned the fundamental legitimacy or legality of US policy; the criticism focused instead on how the strategy played out, particularly in Yemen and Somalia.
    Depends on where you read the book from I guess. I found it overly laden with hyperbole on a variety of subjects. If it wasn't on my kindle I would go back and pull some examples but when you call SERE "the armys torture school" you pretty much show you have no idea what you are talking about. Steve Coll is even handed, Scahill is editorial.

Wyatt,

I agree with you regarding the hyperbole, which I found suffocating at points.

I would like to stress to the original poster that there is continuity between "US power being exerted through SOF and other "black ops" around the world" pre- and post-9/11, which is a meta-narrative not often captured in many works. I think a strong argument could be made that how the key players in the Bush administration, Cold Warriors themselves, responded to 9/11 was not necessarily derived from an objective analysis on how to conduct a "war on terrorism".
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

I must of had a senior moment, I can't believe I forgot one of the better books on modern covert operations (and their draw backs):

Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001

Another one I enjoyed for its insights, though a bit dated is:

The Fourth World War: Diplomacy and Espionage in the Age of Terrorism Hardcover, by Count De Marenches

If patrick Porter, an Australian in the UK, recommends a 2010 book I'll pass it on and it fits here: 'Between Threats and War: U.S. Discrete Military Operations in the Post-Cold War World' by Micah Zenko (A Council on Foreign Relations) Paperback.

Link:http://www.amazon.com/dp/080477191X/...YKsb0HYJ3BV91K
    davidbfpo