Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrorism: What's Coming

Default You did so

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Agreed J Wolfsberger,

At least in my humble opinion

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Sorry, but the world does not operate in black and white.
    No, I didn't say that the world operated thus. I said the the Islamic Jihadist (Islamic Fundamentalist) operated thus. Big difference, don't you agree?

Although ideology is a critical component of jihadist terrorism, it is certainly not the only influence nor the single root of what we see in Jihadist terrorism today.
    I agree. Ideological jihad is a critical component; it is derived explicitly from the fundamentalist interpretation of the Qur'an. I also tend to think that for the fundamentalist Muslim, influences external to their interpretation of the Quran are of secondary consequence. If Islamic fundamentalism is based upon a specific from of brainwashing or Islamic sect teaching from an early age - wahhabism or al-Mahdi expectant shi'ism - then outside influences are probably minimized. The acts of suicidal/homicidal jihadi's such as 9/11 and others would tend to confirm this.

I do agree with you that understanding ideology and doctrine is key to understanding the operational characteristics of the terrorist group in question. However, how their ideology and operations are influenced by a myriad other factors is even more important. Understanding the former is but a learning step to enable the CT analyst to perform the latter.
    What other factors have a higher priority to the run-of-the-mill suicidal/homicidal Islamic jihadist than the promise of 100% forgiveness of earthly transgressions by Allah and the sexual hook of multiple tens of virgins waiting for him in the afterlife?

How do these religious inducements work for the increasing number of female Muslim suicide/homicide jihadists?

Again, if you wish to discuss terrorist ideology specifically, whether just Al Qa'ida or violent Salafists in general, then look through the Adversary/Threat forum for the appropriate discussion thread.
    I'll do that.
    Last edited by Sean Osborne; 12-11-2007 at 03:40 AM.

Post in this vain

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Osborne View Post
    No, I didn't say that the world operated thus. I said the the Islamic Jihadist (Islamic Fundamentalist) operated thus. Big difference, don't you agree?

Do you consider all those who are christian to be as strong in following its precepts as yourself. I would probably guess not.

In the same way what makes you think that everyone who is of any other faith are any more guaranteed to buy into every facet of their faith or the way it is portrayed by any given group.

here is a http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1623.htm to something I think is a good example of the fact that not all are quite as stringent as one might think

It is rare that any two groups with ideologically polar positions will come to agreement through anything less than attritive practice.

However,
    There is probably a saying somewhere related to the average guys always working out the differences, because the above average tend to be to busy establishing their above averageness.

And if there ain't , there should be
    Last edited by Ron Humphrey; 12-11-2007 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add a link

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Do you consider all those who are christian to be as strong in following its precepts as yourself. I would probably guess not.
    Ron,

I have no doubt that other Christians are not as strong in the faith. I think it a fact that any faith has adherents of varying degrees of that faith. There are fervent believers, there are those who as described as being "luke warm", and there are those categorized in or by all faiths as "apostate". There are secularists and humanists in each as well.

In the same way what makes you think that everyone who is of any other faith are any more guaranteed to buy into every facet of their faith or the way it is portrayed by any given group.
    Agreed. There are many who go about their daily lives as you describe. In another thread I posted a link which described - with respect to Islam - Secularists, Moderates and Fundamentalists. I think these do apply to all faiths, not just Islam.

It is rare that any two groups with ideologically polar positions will come to agreement through anything less than attritive practice.
    Agreed. However, in the not-to-distant future I think it likely that there will be an ecumenical movement which will fold Christianity, Judaism and Islam into some sort grouping of "Abrahamic Religions" and that's where the current religious divisions will be, at least temporarily, rectified to one another. That grouping may also likely expand to encompass all major faiths or philosophies around the world. Some say it will be an ecumenical "World Religion".
    Last edited by Sean Osborne; 12-11-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Council Member

I tend to think that people who see the world as black and white are highly likely to conflict with people who see the world as white and black. They seem to enjoy fighting each other too, although the only source I can cite to back up my belief is an old Star Trek episode.

I think the area that we're most likely to view in those terms, and be viewed in those terms, will remain the Middle East for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.