Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Now going on three and one half years, I requested UNICEF assistance with a campaign to promote Mine Action Information Awareness. USEUCOM's HDO provided me with the names and operational HQs.

We wanted to get more info out to the schools; Spring was fast approaching and as the ground thawed, things would begin to surface. We had leaflets and brochures, and finally a tape (the link is here with SWJ under education).

We offered up half (about one grand USD) and asked for contributions which would obviously include space for advertising, should that become an issue.

Nothing, not even a negative reply.
Bogus comes to mind.
An organization with children in mind.
Yea, Christmas cards at reduced rates.

To date, only the USG, has replied, sent funds and PSYOPS to assist to the tune of 56 grand.

I suppose if we had more dead children as a result of playing with UXO, we would have gotten the population's attention, but would that mean UNICEF would then consider our little spot on earth ?

They have some nice websites, unfortunately I remain disappointed
Uh, you're not speaking with the right folks. I know this was originally posted a long time back, but if you still need this assistance, please send me an e-mail at jdonahue@vi.org. Generally, the Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) community has a lot less, um, attitudinal trouble working with military entities, particularly on something as necessary as Mine Risk Education (MRE - what we call it now - the relief and development communities like to change up their jargon just as often as the military).

HMA is heading in a direction that is usually termed "main streaming", meaning that it is becoming less the primary focus in international responses, and more a part of other efforts such as refugee return or WASH (the new name for Water and Sanitation/WATSAN). For that reason, some of the UN agencies and NGOs that had previously had a tremendous amount of focus on Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) are now adding/shifting to things such as Small Arms/Light Weapons (SA/LW) and Disarmament/Demobilization/Reintegration (DDR, and I always screw up what this one means). Long preamble for the explanation that this might not be as high on their list of priorities at the moment.

Anyway, if this is still something you're trying to address, drop me a line and I'll try and get you linked up with the right folks. My organization works closely with DoD, as well as the Canadian Forces, and if we can't help, we can point you to someone who can.

Cheers,

Joe