Insofar as some seem to have taken my comments to indicate otherwise, I just want to say that I strongly believe that Conduct of War rules are a good thing, whether they are the Code of Chivalry or the Geneva Convention. Children and other non-combatants are not and should never be targets.

However, I treat the conduct of war as separate from the 'Just War' rightly or wrongly because I view the decision to go to war as separate from the conduct there of, mostly because in modern times the people who make decisions about the two are separate. Decisions to go to war is almost always made by politicians, whereas most war crimes are commited by individuals or groups thereof in the armed forces. It is conceivable that a political body would both declare an unjust war and then regulate that the war be conducted in such a manner that is against the law of land warfare. However, it is equally concievable that even in an unjust war, soldiers could conduct themselves in an honorable manner, and vice-a-versa.