Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Russo-Ukraine War 2017 (January-April)

Council Member

20:00 #Donetsk @rjpthju5rjpthju [fb] "N/NW - capital battle, horrible sounds" "#Machinery plant: it started to rumble in the N"

20:15 #Donetsk @rjpthju5rjpthju [ok.ru] "#Mahystralnyi can hear it along the entire line #Pisky-#YaBP, like a serious battle there"

20:15 #Donetsk @rjpthju5rjpthju [ok.ru] "#Gladkovka: horrible. everything and anything is heard, and nearby"

Russian artillery working from #Makiivka-east, now.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 02-25-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Council Member

Uh oh >Ukraine MP says he started talking to Sater/Michael Cohen abt "Ukraine peace plan" a year ago
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...-story#…

ByJosh Marshall
    PublishedFebruary 24, 2017, 11:58 PM EDT

There's More to the Michael Cohen Story

I was intrigued to learn a few days ago that President Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, once founded an ethanol business in Ukraine. It's referred to as a family business. So presumably he set it up with relatives of his wife, who is Ukrainian. This isn't any big scoop I uncovered with my masterly reporting skills. It's referenced right in one of the biggest stories of the last week in The New York Times, the one about Cohen, Felix Sater and Andrii V. Artemenko, the renegade Ukrainian MP who pitched Cohen (and, he hoped, Mike Flynn and Donald Trump) on his 'peace plan' for Russia and Ukraine and who is now being investigated by the government of Ukraine for treason.
    Now, to be clear, there's nothing wrong or suspicious about setting up a business in the energy sector in Ukraine. But it did make me see Cohen's role in all of this in something of a new light. In most of the coverage of Cohen's not infrequent appearances in the Russia/Trump saga, he is presented as a blunt-affect New York City lawyer who seldom makes it east of Queens. That's one of the things that has always made his cameos in these stories a bit odd and hard to figure. But if he's set up a family business in Ukraine, it seems like this terrain and the cast of characters and politics might not be so foreign to him after all.
    Then there are some more details.
    This article in the English language section of the Urkainian news website Hromadske International has more details. Now, before discussing this I should say that I always try to be cautious dipping into the press of a country I don't know in some detail. It's hard to know the difference between The New York Times and the National Enquirer without your linguistic and cultural-political bearings. However, in this case I spoke to a good friend who is part of the Ukrainian-American community. She is familiar with the publication and the people who run it. So while I cannot specifically confirm the details of this article, I'm confident it is a legitimate publication. The article I'm referencing is an English translation of the original in Ukrainian. The usage is a little rough in places. But it's clear enough.
    In any case, the article is a backgrounder on Artemenko, pivoting off the original story in the Times. It goes into various details about Artemenko's background. Then it gets to Cohen. In an interview at Strana.ua, he says that while Sater is a recent acquaintance, he's known Cohen since back when Cohen was setting up the ethanol business in Ukraine. So at least according to to Artemenko, he and Cohen have known each other for some time. This wasn't just a courtesy meeting Cohen took with a stranger as a favor to Sater.
    And then there's this.
    Artemenko told Strana.ua that this wasn't the first time they'd talked about the "peace plan." He says that he was discussing the peace plan with Cohen and Sater “at the time of the primaries, when no one believed that Trump would even be nominated.”
    So at least according to Artemenko, discussions about the "peace plan" go back to the first half of 2016.
    That's interesting.
    I should note this caution. Artemenko seems like a pretty shady character, based on this article and the other write-ups over recent days. He could certainly be lying about his contacts with Cohen before February 2017 for any number of reasons. This whole story is a swirl of confusion, lies and misinformation. So this isn't just a perfunctory caveat. It's a real possibility. But given the demonstrable lack of credibility of Cohen and the rest of the players on the Trump side, I see no reason to dismiss his claims out of hand. After all, in a period of 48 hours Cohen gave four different versions of his side of the story about this meeting, successively dismissing each of his previous stories as "fake news."
    We should ask Artemenko for more details and ask Cohen whether these new details are true.
    It has always struck me as highly odd that, in the current climate of suspicion over Russia's ties to Trump, Cohen would take that moment to meet with Sater - a former business associate who Trump now claims he wouldn't recognize - and a Ukrainian with a pro-Russian peace plan. It makes a bit more sense if the relationship goes back before this year.
    We shouldn't take any of this at face value. But it seems like there's a lot more here than one meeting.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 02-25-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Council Member

Remember the long-suffering cats of Russia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

ATO daily report: 50 enemy Russian/Russian mercenary attacks, 4 WIA

Council Member

'Cyber attacks on @NATO are up 60 per cent in the past year'. Interesting piece on #cyber defence:
    http://on.ft.com/2lRqJC0
    #

Council Member

Donetsk airport old terminal 6.30 AM- militants shelling with NONA 120-mm self-propelled mortar system for 10 minutes.

Council Member

OTD Three years ago Russian subversives are setting checkpoints in Sevastopol #Crimea
    http://fb.me/52CBKgIyg

THAT so called proRussia Ukrainian peace plan that was handled via Trump's persona; lawyer Cohen and Flynn the former Trump NSA....Trump's personal lawyer seems to be having a really hard time getting his own personal involvement story straight....

He is now at story FIVE......

Natasha Bertrand

@NatashaBertrand
    Cohen told me, NYT, NBC, WaPo various versions of "I met with Sater & Artemenko for 15-20 min in NYC hotel." Version 5 now includes dinner.

REMEMBER...initially he denied the meeting ever took place now they had dinner as well....
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 02-26-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Council Member

Russian MLRS BM21 Grad shelling Avdiivka from Donetsk Ukraine
    http://fb.me/1Hc5ZMgwu

Euromaidan Press @EuromaidanPress
    Ukraine marks the day of Crimean Tatar resistance against Russian occupation. Stay strong, Crimea!

Council Member

32 attacks of Russian forces on Ukrainian positions since midnight to 6pm

15:41 #Donetsk @BylByleva7 [vk] #airport-#YaBP - ongoing battles, heavy [arms]

16:05 #Donetsk @rjpthju5rjpthju [fb] "#Kalininskyi: Heavy launches fr/N-NW" "#YaBP direction rumbles" "#Botanic garden can hear it"

16:07 #Donetsk @666_mancer [forum] Now tanks are pounding #Promka

16:29 #Donetsk #Proletarskyi ds @levzeja Salvos became heavier and more frequent

16:30 #Makiivka @gorodprizrakUA It rumbles for 2 hours. It is 30 min as it intensified

16:33 #Donetsk @iQDVUROtb8F8QeN For about 40 minutes, heavy [weapons] make noise in #Yasynuvata direction

17:35 #Makiivka @VasyaMakeevskiy Heavy booms in #Mineralne direction. It sounds like artillery salvos fr/#bypass in the area of #Kordon pond

Council Member

Dzhemilev warns that Crimea may turn into a deserted peninsula
    http://uawire.org/news/dzhemilev-war...ted-peninsula#

Azor..........
    SBU: Russia is sending billions of rubles to separatist republics in Eastern Ukraine
    http://uawire.org/news/sbu-russia-is...stern-ukraine#

Ukrainian volunteer battalions took control of Donetsk filtration plant
    http://uawire.org/news/media-ukraini...tration-plant#

U.S. condemns attacks on OSCE special monitoring mission in eastern Ukraine
    http://reut.rs/2mzGf28
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 02-26-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Council Member

Azor.......go to some of my comments about the current internal Russian affairs are starting to become strained to say the least....

Voice of America: Thousands of Russians march to remember murdered Putin critic
    http://dlvr.it/NTgnvc

Even after his murder Putin still has not been able to dampen down this movement....

TV Rain presents photos from Nemtsov March in Moscow today:
    https://tvrain.ru/galleries/marsh_pa...kve-428513/#2#

Council Member

Avdiivka again without electricity amid shelling. Donbas blockade continues#
    http://euromaidanpress.com/2017/02/27/february-25/#

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Azor..actually would like to see a more thorough historical redo of that entire period as it would go a long way in reducing tensions if the past was fully and completely understood...as Russia tends to twist their version of the Soviet past....as do many in that area still do....
    I completely agree. I think that Snyder's Bloodlands was a masterpiece in that it looked at the total suffering inflicted by Stalin and Hitler, and utilized many different sources, although I believe that in his determination to counter Soviet and Russian propaganda, he minimized the suffering of ethnic Russians at the hands of the Germans, which was horrendous and worse than that meted out by the Soviets to the Baltics.

Council Member

Default To Outlaw 09

I saw a few days ago on liveuamap.com, a report that a Ukrainian ATGM had taken out a (pro)Russian BMP. Unfortunately, the YouTube video was inaccessible. Do you have anything on this?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azor View Post
    I saw a few days ago on liveuamap.com, a report that a Ukrainian ATGM had taken out a (pro)Russian BMP. Unfortunately, the YouTube video was inaccessible. Do you have anything on this?
    I listened to the UAF solider describe the ATGM hit and saw the burning BMP in the distance...actual footage of the strike itself if I recall was not shown....

UAF is getting selective on what it shows as they understand OSINT......the interview did not state what front area ...assuming it was Avdiivka as that has been the heaviest fighting area .....

Council Member

New York Times World

@nytimesworld
    "Ukraine’s experience can be used by Europe and America to understand the real Russian threat” around fake news. -MP
    http://nyti.ms/2mzY2Gl

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    I listened to the UAF solider describe the ATGM hit and saw the burning BMP in the distance...actual footage of the strike itself if I recall was not shown....

UAF is getting selective on what it shows as they understand OSINT......the interview did not state what front area ...assuming it was Avdiivka as that has been the heaviest fighting area .....
    Azor....the video depicted a burning and cooking off vehicle...hard to say it was a BMP but due to the explosions of the ammo...it carried a heavy load..distance to the vehicle was about 500-800m again hard to judge due to the darkness....

The video was shot in the early morning or early evening as it was dark but you could see the houses behind it ...as the vehicle burned so the ATGM had to have been fired using night vision which we have seen used in Syria....

Council Member

In northern #Donetsk, #Makeevka, #Yasynuvata Russian Hybrid Army is firing artillery this morning

Now that Russia's state TV is discouraged from mentioning Trump, it's all about "bad, hopeless, ruined Ukraine."

BUT WAIT...even in the middle of a war Ukraine economy is picking up speed and doing actually well...best harvest in years....lots of investors and new companies coming into Ukraine...best export year to date with EU...salaries are increasing and inflation rate well within what they want...AND they are fighting as well a war....

Council Member

This cartoon from Germany is so true and I had to translate it into English.

Council Member

09:43 #Avdiivka @mtot_gov_ua As of 07:00, Avdiivka is still without centralized power supply; Avdiivka coke plant provides heat