Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
I pointed to this article in my old Intelligence forum thread on my paper Chaotic Dynamics, particularly for those here who argued that the problem isn't mirror-imaging or ethno-centric bias, but just putting into place better training for the analysts. Training people without first altering their POV or mindset is typically an exercise in futility.
Jeff, again, mirror-imaging and ethno-theo-cultural-or-national biases are all classic analytic failings that have been recognized and understand to be seriously damaging to effective analysis by intelligence professionals since long before either of us was born. However, neither the various agencies nor the military can alter POV or mindset before they train a new analyst.

The ability to understand a spectrum of perceptions and various points of view, to effectively conduct alternatives analysis, to put themselves in the fully textured context of the other to "red team" the analysis - these all form an integral part of good training for analysts. To reiterate, it is not something that can be instilled prior to training analysts - it is an aspect of critical thinking that must be fused with the fundamental skills of analysis and integrated into analytic training from beginning to end.