Thread: Blasphemy: Article advocates afternoon PT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Combatives were introduced to counter the fact that

kids today can reach age 18 without ever having been struck or striking anyone else. Combatives are mostly a way to let people hit others and get hit and learn that the world doesn't come to an end.

Various forms of combatives are used by various units and forces but few are really combat skills. The reason for that is the true infantry hand to hand combat skills are -- or certainly should be -- deadly. Literally. Few forces today are willing to impart such knowledge to average troops due to fear of misuse.

Schmedlap is totally correct:
    "...When you practice the wrong technique - which is more likely to occur when you first practice it while exhausted - then you develop motor memory of the wrong technique. Learn the technique, get it right (in other words, train). Then, when you're proficient, you can do it while exhausted for your day of conditioning.
    That's important...

However, I think on this:
    We don't do stress shoots before basic rifle marksmanship."
    We need to do the same thing -- get the basics thoroughly embedded using enhancements to this methodology (LINK) then go to stress shoots. Combat is a stress shoot..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    kids today can reach age 18 without ever having been struck or striking anyone else. Combatives are mostly a way to let people hit others and get hit and learn that the world doesn't come to an end.

Various forms of combatives are used by various units and forces but few are really combat skills. The reason for that is the true infantry hand to hand combat skills are -- or certainly should be -- deadly. Literally. Few forces today are willing to impart such knowledge to average troops due to fear of misuse.
    Thats a big 10-4 on that. Real street fighting ain't like combatives.....it has only one rule the first person to cheat is probably going to win

Council Member

Whatever we decide, let's not copy the physical conditioning program that the Iranians are using...

However, the Taliban might be on to something...

Where is Tony Little? Doesn't he recognize a new market opening up here?
    Last edited by Schmedlap; 12-04-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Is the top guy Tom Odom??!?!

(I'm in trouble now!)
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    Is the top guy Tom Odom??!?!

(I'm in trouble now!)
    Oh man....Rodney Dangerfield had it right

Wow - maybe it's a good thing we don't have such thing as Div up here! PT in our Army, at least in the infantry, is largely a Company Commander's affair. Coy Comds will, depending on their preference, hand PT off to the Platoon Comds or run it themselves. Either way, max flex is the key. I've done all sorts of PT at various times of the day - anything to keep it interesting (thankfully, the "ruck, run, ruck, run" mentality is dying quickly). I tell my soldiers that Army PT isn't designed to make you superfit, it's designed to maintain a level of effective battlefitness.

Council Member

If they moved to afternoon PT then you wouldnt be able to hang out in PT gear all day.

Serisoulsy, PT should be in the AM just because at least you know it gets done. In my units we tried doing PT in the afternoon, but with things getting thrown at you last minute, it made it more difficult to have a PT session with everyone involved. Also, I am more tired and less motivated at the end of the day then at the beginning. Just my two cents.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Council Member

Wow, I thought the Air Force uniforms were bad. And you'd think the Iranian President, with the billions put into the nuclear program, would be able to afford a decent tailor.