Thread: Normal Teenage Problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Make sure you include a theoretical physicist in your discussion. That way when you finally get tired of it he will explain that until they (physicists) find a way to resolve relativity and quantumn mechanics, this discussion is pointless. LOL! (I once had this discussion with a group comprised of 3 engineers, 2 physicist (one theoretical the other bio,) 1 anthropologist, 1 industrial psychologist and a psychiatrist. If it hadn't been for the theoretical physicist I think we would still be sitting there, actually standing there, discussing the issue. Of course, I find that theoretical physicists try to claim that membrane theory (the current way of resolving the two) must be understood in order to deal with any problem.)

Happy New Year!

Adam L

Hi Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Make sure you include a theoretical physicist in your discussion. That way when you finally get tired of it he will explain that until they (physicists) find a way to resolve relativity and quantumn mechanics, this discussion is pointless. LOL! (I once had this discussion with a group comprised of 3 engineers, 2 physicist (one theoretical the other bio,) 1 anthropologist, 1 industrial psychologist and a psychiatrist. If it hadn't been for the theoretical physicist I think we would still be sitting there, actually standing there, discussing the issue. Of course, I find that theoretical physicists try to claim that membrane theory (the current way of resolving the two) must be understood in order to deal with any problem.)
    LOL!

Trying to re-create the Tower of Babel ?

Actually, I do agree, although I have a suspicion that you would have to pick your theoretical physicist pretty carefully to avoid one of the superstring theologians !

There was a really good debate in cosmology in the 1990's or so that led to the concept of quantum consciousness (via Roger Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind and some of Daniel Dennet's work). I haven't really kept up with it too much, but it was a lot of fun. I'll have to check out membrane theory.... when i get a free moment !

Cheers,

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Marc:

I remember the "quantum mind" movement. I blame it for that damned movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?"! LOL!

Schoolkid: Marc has reminded me of a book that you will have fun with given your interests. The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton.

Adam L

Hey Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    I remember the "quantum mind" movement. I blame it for that damned movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?"! LOL!
    At the time I started reading that stuff, say 1990 for the earlier cosmology material, I was doing a lot of research on mysticism and mystical states. After slogging through Roger's book later on (and his father was a much better writer !), I started playing around with the idea of how perception fields can be influenced in both single world and multiple world variants. Pretty cool stuff, since it looks like the same very rough models work in both. I just wish that my math was better .

Cheers,

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/