Mike,

I just read the letters at the links you provided and while interesting they're is nothing there that surprises me, nor is there any there that is related to the overall strategy issue. The author claims the investigation was in violation of the intent of the G-N Act. I'm familiar with many cases where individuals were accused of violating regulations or laws while under COCOM authority and their cases were reffered back to their Services for the investigation (with COCOM oversight) and if guilty punishment. I don't think that is a violation of Title 10 since the services are responsible for the morale and discipline of their people. The COCOM on the other hand is responsible for conducting operations, and unfortunately by default for developing strategy. This is your field of expertise, not mine, but I think the COCOM retains the right of first refusal. In other words if the COCOM wants to take the case they can, but they can also refer it to the Services.

On a side note, and while I feel very much for the young Marines that were run through the ringer on this, is it possible that the Generals (right or wrong) in this case were not so much focused on protecting their own butts, but rather protecting their Services and while whether right or wrong in this case, it counters the argument made by the author that they were cowardly and self centered.

Regardless of real motives, and I don't see how this is relevant to the larger "getting strategy" right discussion? What am I missing?