I find this kind of interesting.

HTS will have reach back connectivity to a network of subject-matter experts now being assembled from throughout the department of Defense, the interagency domain, and academia.
I can’t imagine that the population of social scientists has suddenly increased substantially within academia. Considering the number of individuals choosing the hard road of social science, those with an interest to work within DOD, those who won’t be considered foreign nationals and thus not suitable, those who speak the language fluently, and the number who “can” work with DOD all three that are left are going to be busy working on other projects.

I’m imagining a faculty member explaining to the human studies board that his current research/activity is in the employ of the department of defense providing observational and strategic analysis, and tactical information, for the subjugation and manipulation of an indigent foreign population.

The analyst will be a qualified cultural anthropologist or sociologist competent with geographical imaging software and fluent enough in the local language to perform field research
Are there are a lot of anthropologists working with GIS?

Am I wrong in thinking that these are going to be forward deployed individuals? The people filling these billets are going to be forward of the line of departure, and in fact the “focus groups” held by the academic will be direct parts of enculturation and in contact with the population and likely in the environment? If this is the case how is a non-uniformed individual deriving intelligence within a combat zone being viewed by the Geneva Convention?

In asymmetrical combat environments we already see a significant issue with civilian employees and dealing with the fall out of these non-combatants (who aid and supply the military) getting snatched. How many grey beard pacifist professors getting snatched will it take before the effort of protection overwhelms the value of the intelligence gathering and dissemination?

Quote Originally Posted by marct
Let's face it - most of us academic types (Selil obviously excepted) just don't have the training and, frequently, the mind-set to handle combat situations. Hey, our idea of an intense firefight is a cocktail party at the faculty club. Man, they are rough
I’m quite allergic to violence and find that getting fatter, older, and balder to be a worthy life long goal. I told a certain flag officer I was to old, fat, and out of shape to ever be in the service again. He told me they (the Marines) could fix two of those three problems easily and I wouldn’t be getting any younger.