Thread: The new Libya: various aspects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Libyan forces possess, or possessed, SA-24s. It is very much in our interest that those missiles be gotten control of.

Oh my god.

Where does this obsession with ManPADS come from?

This is by far not the only example.

It's just a display of a badly, badly, terribly, ridiculously distorted view of the world to even think of these things in this context.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Oh my god.

Where does this obsession with ManPADS come from?
    Because a single MANPADS against a fully loaded 747 at LaGuardia would have dramatic effects on US policy, and a single MANPAD used successfully against an Israeli civilian airliner at Ben Gurion could have regional strategic effects for a decade or more.

There are lots of psychological, political, and other reasons for that. But we have to deal with realities as they are, and no amount of "more people drown in their bath tubs" would make any difference.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

... so could a swarm of geese. So what?

I'm so tired of irrational people doing stupid things.
    Especially so if it leads to people killing each other, or accepting poverty.

Council Member

... so could a swarm of geese. So what?
    You and I both know that a swarm of geese downing an airliner would not have the same political effects as some AQ wannabe doing it.

(Unless, of course, they were jihadist geese.)
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

I’m watching a reporter on Galavisión tour Gaddafi’s compound and a guy wearing a shirt that said <Strength Through Christ> was just standing in front of the camera yelling, “Allahu Akbar!” As second hand clothing moments go I think that tops even my girlfriend’s story of being at an Eid sacrifice in Burkina Faso where one of the participants was wearing a White Power t-shirt.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Why? Jesus is one of their prophets, and not necessarily a lesser one than Mohammed.

Why? Jesus is one of their prophets, and not necessarily a lesser one than Mohammed.
    Jesus is certainly important in Islam but there is no Resurrection tradition in Islam ergo no Christ. But trust a Southerner, it was an über-Evangelical t-shirt. Jesus has a place in Islam but Mohammed has no place in Evangelicalism. Well, Apostate #1, maybe.

There is a great moment in Of Gods and Men that touches on exactly what you’re talking about, though.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)