Thread: South China Sea and China (2011-2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Yes, they have a plan and we don't.
    You are correct, but any plan, at this point, would require a greater embrace of international institutions and international law than most Americans are willing to have. While I certainly embrace traditional notions of territorial sovereignty, I am against expanding it to areas typically viewed as global commons. Freedom of navigation within the commons is crucial to American security interests and the crux of the international economy. Thorough a closer embrace of international institutions and law we can "prep the battlefield" and perhaps increase those connections Gates spoke of.

Have we focused too much on the "war of terror" and thus dropped the ball in the Pacific? Is this issue evidence of our need to pursue a different strategy with respect to terrorism, so we can remember the big picture?
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Council Member

Thougfht I'd share this map asa reference. Map originates from an old web article here
    Conflict in the South China Sea: China’s Relations with Vietnam and the Philippines

p.s. Not as big as I would have liekd. Sort of makes a mockery of posting it as a reference aid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post
    Have we focused too much on the "war of terror" and thus dropped the ball in the Pacific? Is this issue evidence of our need to pursue a different strategy with respect to terrorism, so we can remember the big picture?
    I would say yes. I think China jumps up and down whenever we spend massive resources on wars of choice instead of building a country for the 21st Century.

Default The China Question

All, if you get a chance watch this tonight. Check your local listings.

http://thechinaquestion.com/

Default A map helps

In a BBC report on the PRC's aircraft carrier is a small map of the South China Sea and the disputed islands (my IT skills preclude placing it here):http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13692558

The dotted line showing China's claims do make one pause for thought.
    davidbfpo

Don't worry about the south china sea look what they want to do in Boise,Idaho.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...of-boise-idaho

Slap:

That story is a little breathless, the implication being the thousands of Chinamen are going to be establishing an enclave in Idaho, sort of the Shanghai legations reversed. I'll believe it when I see it. If the Chinese want to build businesses and facilities in Idaho, essentially giving us money, let 'em at it. The Idahos won't care who signs the paycheck as long as it doesn't bounce.

The story also contains this quote:

"The borrower is always the servant of the lender, and now China is buying up America."

That is true unless you get into really big money, then the situation is reversed. Or so says Donald Trump.
    Last edited by carl; 06-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Slap:

That story is a little breathless, the implication being the thousands of Chinamen are going to be establishing an enclave in Idaho, sort of the Shanghai legations reversed. I'll believe it when I see it. If the Chinese want to build businesses and facilities in Idaho, essentially giving us money, let 'em at it. The Idahos won't care who signs the paycheck as long as it doesn't bounce.

The story also contains this quote:

"The borrower is always the servant of the lender, and now China is buying up America."

That is true unless you get into really big money, then the situation is reversed. Or so says Donald Trump.
    Carl, maybe you are right but what I thought was most interesting was the concept of a self sustaining city.....what exactly does that mean? Invasion by we(China) have a better idea on how to run things.