Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
Peripherally relevant comment from the "second world"...

Important to note, I think, that rapid urbanization is often a consequence of extreme poverty and economic stagnation in the countryside, generally driven and exacerbated by a combination of terrible infrastructure, rapid population growth, and the political and economic dominance of feudal elites who often use illegal means (such as armed force) to discourage political or economic competition.

People migrate to the city because it's seen as a place with opportunities... $1 a day may seem pretty miserable, but it's more than nothing a day, and there's always that chance of hooking onto something.

Excessive focus on the cities can distract from a desperately needed focus on rural development. Can't fix one without fixing the other... if there are 2 million unemployed in Manila and you gave each one a job tomorrow, in a week there'd be 4 million more arriving for their chance.
Given that you live in a second/third world country, I would have to take your word for it. As I would also agree that the desperation of the even further impoverished and underdeveloped countryside leads masses of people to seek oppertunites somewhere else no matter what the risks might be, which would be just common sense also.

Also since you put the this in the context of rural development, then a focus on urban development as many 2nd/3rd world and even some 1st world countries are doing now would only fuel the current issues faced.