Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
Some folks in the embassy need a reality check at times.... the ones here seem generally to inhabit a different universe.

I confess, I've never bothered to engage with the embassy. I also confess that I've no objection to being on my own. In the unlikely event that I need them, I'll go to them, with low expectations.
Yep, there are some strange folk at the fish bowl (embassy), and some do need a wake up call. I used to think State forced most to have multiple lobotomies as I had no other explanations when queried

We were affectionately referred to as "other than State" when it came to decisions and finance. So it comes as no surprise to hear expats talk of the embassy personnel being from another planet !

Many of the reasons the embassy is incapable is due to a lack of knowledge of the country they occupy and call home for a scant 2 years. The expats fill that gap - assuming the embassy personnel realize they are not the center of the universe and that the expats are in fact humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
The embassy here admittedly has a fair bit on its plate; there are a lot of American expats here and a lot of them are obnoxious, demanding, and ignorant. On the rare occasions when I've been in the consular services section (usually for a US notary stamp or some such) there always seem to be some buffoon making a scene; I don't envy those who work there. Their communications and (I assume) their plans seem calibrated to the average, which is understandable, and are fairly irrelevant to me personally. I certainly don't think they'd be coming up here to give me a hand, in the unlikely event that it was needed!

My guess is that if you called them up and told them you were dying, they'd e-mail you a list of embassy-approved funeral parlors, but that is perhaps unkind
ROTFLMAO !

No excuse, but, the counselor is the lowest denomination and youngest FSO at post with the greatest amount of Bravo Sierra one could expect on a first tour abroad. He/She should, and normally does, have a few locals to bridge the gaps. The embassy local staff generally have the greatest amount of experience and get to deal with all the disgruntled locals and Americans while the US staff barely figure out how to get home each evening before their tour is up.

In short, without people like you and I, the embassy can't help the rest. I just drove someone to the emergency room the other day - about 120 meters across the street from the embassy, held that person's hand and returned same to the embassy. I probably had at least a thousand other things to do that day too. Nobody else cared and nobody else could have negotiated the labyrinth of local bureaucracy to be seen within one hour on any typical day.

I doubt the embassy in the PI could even give you a list of local funeral parlors Not sure about your situation, but if I was dying I would drive myself to the graveyard - it would be faster !