Thread: intelligence analysis, overcoming bias and learning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    For example, there was no method for us to challenge the bizarre analysis of a battalion S-2 (so-called battalion senior intelligence analyst) who proclaimed that the main problem in our province was "criminal activity" and not the Taliban. We figured that since this conclusion wasn't based on any actual reporting, she must have some kind of cognitive bias against, say, reality.
    No, no, no! It's not a bias against reality, it's a definition of the Taliban as criminals !

Now, it would have been a bias against reality if she had defined the Taliban as Smurfs... then again, maybe not !
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    No, no, no! It's not a bias against reality, it's a definition of the Taliban as criminals !
    Curses, now I'm the one with the bias...
    Now, it would have been a bias against reality if she had defined the Taliban as Smurfs... then again, maybe not !
    I thought I recognized the guy in those briefings! Mullah Papa Smurf AKA Abu Smurfette...
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen